Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:25 PM   #1

It was raining today and that was what I saw through my somewhat opened roof-light:

I took a second photo showing the window more clearly - the camera wasn't able to capture both sharp from my position.

The small area that was visible through the window gave a somewhat unfamiliar view on an otherwise very wellknown street with the letterboxes, the other houses and stuff. It worked as a natural frame - and the waterdrops added something "natural" to that.

Not the most interesting subject to take a photo... but that's not the challenge How do you like it?

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2007, 4:57 PM   #2

Thkn,

You've set your self a pretty difficult goal, getting both the drops and the outside scene in focus. It's all in your control of DOF (depth of field).

General reminder is that the depth of field is deeper with a larger f-stop number e.g. f:22 will get more things in focus vs f:2.8.

I suspect that with the rainy scene your f-stop is quite wide open to allow you to get a bright image. If the day is pretty overcast it limits your options. Because your acceptable range of f:stops and combined shutter speeds that will provide acceptable lighting as well as the wide DOF you seek becomes non-existent.

Don't know what kind of lighting you had but the darker ir got the less able you were to get everything in focus.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 5:29 PM   #3

selvin wrote:
Quote:
Thkn,

You've set your self a pretty difficult goal, getting both the drops and the outside scene in focus. It's all in your control of DOF (depth of field).

General reminder is that the depth of field is deeper with a larger f-stop number e.g. f:22 will get more things in focus vs f:2.8.

I suspect that with the rainy scene your f-stop is quite wide open to allow you to get a bright image. If the day is pretty overcast it limits your options. Because your acceptable range of f:stops and combined shutter speeds that will provide acceptable lighting as well as the wide DOF you seek becomes non-existent.

Don't know what kind of lighting you had but the darker ir got the less able you were to get everything in focus.

Aloha
Yes... I know. *sigh*

I can't even step back far enough to get an acceptable "mixed" sight. So I went for 2 shots, where still the challenge was met since it's looking through a window.

That's photography. Sometimes you need more than one picture to tell the same story your eyes can see with just one glance.

Mental note: never try to compete with your eyes - it's silly when it comes to such things.

Thanks for comments.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:52 AM   #4

A good tripod fixes many problems of this nature. If your goal is the best possible DOF, you are going to get a shutter speed that is too slow for hand held exposures. Consequently, a good tripod is essential.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:17 AM   #5

I couldn't figure out what those white blurred spots were on the first image until I scrolled down to the second image...very cool!

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote