Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:42 PM   #1

Here's a subtle red...
Attached Images

bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:56 PM   #2

Hi Bobert and welcome to the forum.

In my opinion, this photograph does not qualify for the challenge. What little red there is in this photo (stop sign and a couple other little spots) is not the subject of the photo. In fact, it is so much not the subject that you have to hunt to find it.

Please read Vanessa's (vsch1) challenge description again. The red, regardless of how little, must be the subject of the photo.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:10 PM   #3

"See who can get the smallest amount of red in their photo and still have it be the focus." said Vanessa...

Let's see what others say but I was trying to respond to the challnege of minimalism :-)

Old Apr 4, 2007, 9:28 PM   #4

Can you tell me how you created this photo. I am having a difficult time understanding what I am seeing. It appears to be a BW conversion with some selective coloring but I'm not sure. The resolution is not too good. That stop sign is definitely not in focus and not the subject of the photo. The challenge description may have not explicitly said it but the red should be the subject of the photo regardless how small.

Please read the forum guidelines at the top of the forum paying particular attention to print size and post-processing guidelines at the end of the thread

Cal

Old Apr 4, 2007, 9:56 PM   #5

While I have to agree with Cal, that it looks like selective coloring, (which, I guess, is against the rules), I think the subject of this photo, is not the stop sign, but the subtle red in the lingering, stubborn leaves, that haven't ever left the trees.

I kinda like the overall effect.:-)
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:36 AM   #6

Very nice photo but cal is right...the red just isn't dramatic enough. But it would really make this photo stand out if that stop sign wasn't covered by snow and branches and really stood out.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:26 AM   #7

Hmmm.... I'm new at posting here and I think I need some help in uploading photos! When I tried uploading the original image (about 1.5 megabytes), It wouldn't upload until I compressed it beyond recognition. That's why the stop sign seems out of focus. Also the image didn't embed itself into the message body, so I'm doing something wrong there too.

To answer Cal, this is the original image with the red's saturated a bit. It is not B & W, that's the real scene.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:48 AM   #8

To give consideration to dialup users, we like to limit image size to <800 pixels on the long dimension. An image of the size you mention would probably not upload on most sites due to size limitations. The maximum filesize for an attachment in this forum software is 250,400 bytes as stated at the bottom of the editor window. 1.5 mb is about six times that limit. An 800x600 photo with 10% jpeg compression will be about 200-300 kb.

Cal

Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:40 PM   #9

I'm new to this forum... I guess I ought to learn the rules! How much post processing is allowed? Cropping surely, what about sharpening, colour balance etc?

Thanks,

BB
Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:45 PM   #10

At the top of the forum you will find a thread titled "Forum Guidelines". If you open that and scroll down to the last entry in the thread, you will find the guidelines for post-processing.

Cal