Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:35 PM   #1

ShutterBugSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:18 AM   #2

I just read in the guidelines thread about the two post daily limit. This was my third pic post, sorry about that. Won't happen again. I'll go sit in the corner and think about what I've done.

(Boy, I'm causing all sorts of havoc. :shockon't give up on me yet, I'll get the hang of it. )
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:04 AM   #3

great shot, smitty. i really like how the angle and the B&W work here to give a rather ominous look!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 9:53 AM   #4

Well, you're lucky! I wasn't counting, THIS TIME!

I agree, the BW and low angle make for a great shot. When I read the title, I expected to see a shot of a TV image. It is not easy to photgraph a tv image and the quality is never very good.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:42 PM   #5

Of all my shots thus far I'm most happy with this one. I did a test shot with flash but looked too bright and rather unnatural. I didn't use a B+W setting just the lack of color objects in frame. You can almost make out color in the wood grain in the upper right. Automatic white balance along with the GE Reveal bulb in the torchiere lamp aided in the more natural white light. The things I would have done different is I would've moved back the cable box out of view at least a little bit as well as the two objects to the left of the cable box (the heads of two bengal tiger figures) and the broom handle in the reflection just to the left of the lamp pole. I think it would've eliminated distractions and added to the simplicity of the shot. Realizing these details after the fact (much like my 'blind ambition' shot) makes me think I'm rushing my shots a little. Something I'll need to work on. Thanks for the comments.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:51 PM   #6

One good rule to remember with any shot and any camera. In the viewfinder, take a good look around the scene. Is there anything that you don't want in the photo? If so, either remove it, if possible, or adjust your framing to crop it out. It is extremely easy to get the neighbors clothesline or the lawnmower sitting next to the house or a dog's calling card!

I realize it is not easy to see every detail in the viewfinder. I think LCD displays are even worse! However, you get the idea. You can spot the obvious items just by looking at the scene with your eyeballs.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote