Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:12 PM   #1

I used the last remaining bits of sunlight this evening to take some photos when my wife showed me our little gingko tree that made it through the mild winter and grows some leafs.

Now I just love gingkos and had two of them guarding the entrance of my grandma's house. I am used to look at them from a distance, I am used to look at them from below. But I never(!) did a macro shot of a gingko tree.

So, at least for me this is a very unusual angle, I added a shot from a birds POV too. As I said, the light was already quite bad, I tried to touchup these for forum use. Can do some more tomorrow with better light if there is any interest.

#1 - the original macro shot - doesn't it look more like a mini palm tree of some kind?

#2 - birds POV, or should I better say "a bugs point of view"?

In case you have never heard about that tree or want to read a bit about it, here is a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo

Thanks for looking,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:38 PM   #2

Interesting shots of an interesting plant. Because of your lousy lighting conditions there's quite a bit of noise.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:04 PM   #3

Usual object,Unusual angle.You got it right
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 6:30 PM   #4

I'm at somewhat of a loss for an opinion, here, since I've never seen a Gingko tree. Is this were Gingko Biloba comes from.

Your top-down view is most certainly an unusual angle. However your depth of field is extremely shallow in both shots. Only the very top part of the plant is in focus. If that was your intention, I think it is a mistake. With only one tiny spot in the frame in focus, it leaves me searching for something else but not finding anything.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:14 PM   #5

Cal,

Yes, a variety of this tree is where the famous Ginkgo Biloba herbal concoction comes from.

The Ginkgo tree has been called a "living fossil." It was actuallyaround millions of years ago in pretty much its current existing form. It survives in dense metropolitan areas (New York, Tokyo) which pretty much means it will survive anywhere.

I agree with you on depth of field issue.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 6:56 AM   #6

Ah, the post made it through the maintenance! Great.

Yes - this tiny thing will (hopefully) develop into a full-grown Gingko Biloba tree. Amazing, isn't it?

As for the shallow DOF.

It was rather dark because it was late already (see 1st post) so even with ISO800 or so I needed to open the lens quite a bit... But that wasn't the main reason for a shallow DOF.

I tried to give the illusion of distance, size, whatever. You know? From the point of view of a bug, a fly, a wasp etc. this tiny Gingko is already quite big. So if I was that small and so close to that tree I wouldn't get a "hyperfocal landscape everything is in focus" shot but some kind of shallow DOF.

If you feel that the tree in #2 is quite high and fear falling down - that's what I wanted. In #1 - from the FAR ground the (mini-) tree emerges and you can only see the treetop clear and sharp.

It is not easy to produce that illusion and I might have failed badly - but that was the idea behind.

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote