Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 19, 2007, 4:25 AM   #1

ShutterBugSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:40 AM   #2

Ah, the dripping faucet syndrome. The lighting in this photo could use some improvement. I can't tell if you used available light (room light) or flash. I don't think you used flash. If you have an external flash for your camera, pointing the flash head toward the ceiling would yield a soft but bright light for this subject. This is called bounce flash because you are bouncing the light off of some object. If you leave the flash head pointing forward or use builtin flash, you will get a horrible reflection from the faucet.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:08 PM   #3

Cal, for those of us still using the built in flash, is there a way to bounce it? I've heard of creatively using an index card or a opaque plasticfilm canister. Yes, a flash is on my list of accessories.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 3:35 PM   #4

If you can find a small mirror roughly the size of your flash, try attaching it in front of the flash at a 45 degree angle up. Use duct tape to hold it to the camera. This will reflect the flash upward. You might be able to do the same thing with a piece of white cardstock but it won't reflect as much light as the mirror.

I have read about using film canisters as diffusers but I think you would still get too much light toward the subject. The idea of a reflector, mirror or card, is to block all direct light from the flash to the subject and redirect it to the ceiling or other flat surface.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:03 PM   #5

Yep, I used the room light. It was a spur of the moment, late night idea for a shot (I'm a bit of an insomniac). My Channel Chaser shot was at night too. Daylight probably would have improved both shots but what can I say, I'm impatient.
ShutterBugSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote