Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:59 AM   #1

Music is everywhere in the main square in Venice. Here's a bass player entertaining diners.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:00 AM   #2

And one of me along the Grand Canal. I sat my P&S camera on a ledge using the timer. As you can see, there was rush hour traffic.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:52 AM   #3

#1, I think the entertainer is framed well by the wall and the lamp.

#2 is quite nice too.
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:54 AM   #4

I have often wondered--do bass players have calloused fingers? I really don't care to much for the first shot. I think if you were trying the feature the bass player you would have moved in closed or zoomed. The musician between the pillars would be framed very nicely. However, in this shot, the framing of anything is not evident.

Now the second shot is a different story! Great shot of you framed by the arch of the bridge. I note that you are very sharp (focus) in the image but the rest is just a bit soft. It almost looks like the image of you was pasted onto the background image but I know that is not the case. I this this is a case where the camera focused on you and the depth of field was not sufficient to put the entire image in focus.. Maybe it's better this way. I'm not sure!!

Cal

(edit) In looking at the second photo again, I can see that depth of field is not the problem. It is the motion of the boats. The bridge and the people on it are clear as is the white boat in the background.

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:28 PM   #5

Walter,

I looked at your shot #1 then actually read Cals comments afterwards. I don't quite agree with Cal there is no framing evident, there is framing provided by the wall and the brass lamp but I think what's happening is that it is so tight (almost as if the musician has been folded up to fit into the space) that the framing isn't quite successful. To put it another way, the bassist almost doesn't have enough space to breathe.

The second shot is well obviously framed quite well by the bridge. I agree with Cal that the photo isn't sharp edge to edge but not sure what the cause is. In my book you are in focus and that's mostly all that matters for a candid shot like this.

Aloha and thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 2:12 AM   #6

WalterC I love both the shots."Is croping allowed in this forum"( Just to update my knowladge in ground rules)
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 8:03 AM   #7

Mcliu,

Judicious cropping is allowed.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:11 AM   #8

Mcliu, there is an anchored posting at the top of the forum titled "forum guidelines" or something like that. If you open that thread and scroll to the bottom, you will see the guidelines pertaining to post-processing.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote