Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 29, 2007, 1:59 PM   #1

Well, these just sort of happened.
This first one I was wondering around looking for stuff to shoot. I was under this pine tree branch, when this mocking bird landed and decided to announce to the whole world this was his territory. How ever due to the super bright background, I could only throw the selector in Portrait mode and take it that way.

Attached Images

fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2007, 2:02 PM   #2

This one the wife and were sitting out on the patio again, enjoying the nice weather, when I noticed this guy climbing up a bush. But he was in some real shade, with a sunlite background, so Portrait mode again. The bush was behind a wrought fence section with some potted plants in front of that. This is a 100% crop sized down a very little bit.

Attached Images

fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 6:42 PM   #3

I like the silhouetted bird in the first shot although I am not sure about framing. All the possible framing elements are so far out of focus that they really do not frame anything.

The second shot does nothing for me. The lizard is significantly out of focus as is most of the shot. It appears that the only part of the photo that is in focus are a couple of leaves apparently behind the critter.

You say you were stuck using portrait mode. I don't understand this. What, exactly, doe portrait mode do on your camera? Don't you have an automatic program mode? I would use program mode in both of these shooting situations and spot meter on the subject. Spot focus, if available, would really help the second shot. If the automatic modes are not doing it for you, then use manual mode.

I am not a great fan of preset exposure modes found on many cameras, today. They are simply someone else's idea of how a particular situation should be exposed. They don't teach you a thing about how to use your camera. My Minolta S414 has about a half dozen presets and the only one I ever use is the macro mode. As far as I am concerned, the other presets are worthless. My Nikon D100 doesn't have any presets and it takes far better pictures than the S414.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 8:36 PM   #4

Fofa,

I have to agree with Cal. The first shot while it exemplifies a reasonably good silhouette has only marginal if any framing characteristics.

The second shot is so out of focus the poor lizard has the raw end of this deal. Framing is evident in this shot.

Aloha and thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote