Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 1, 2007, 3:24 PM   #1

This shot came out of our team's state tournament match yesterday. The players' bodies and eyes provide a focus on the ball bouncing between two of them, while the player in white's position as the center of the shot is enhanced by the two blue players sandwiching him.

Credit where credit is due department: I did not take this shot. I set up the camera and do the post processing on all our soccer shots while my very talented student manager takes the shots with a Fuji s6000fd and a Sony 1.7X teleconverter. On this one, only a small crop and a little high-pass sharpening was needed.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2007, 8:50 AM   #2

Trojansoc,

Like another shot from Walter you have really marginalized the framing effect. True the players' body parts create a "frame" visually it is not that obvious and the frame like in Walter's case just about hugs the players face.

Yes, a frame is there but it doesn't really add much to the overll impact of the picture. I don't know if others will agree but that's my take.

Aloha and thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 9:18 AM   #3

In terms of the concept of natural framing as applied to photography, I don't see any framing here. I just see sports action (or stop action!). I don't see the players in blue as framing but simply players. The subject of the photo is mostly hidden by the "frame".

To use natural framing effectively, the subject should be clearly visible and the framing elements should be separate from the subject.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote