Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 16, 2007, 10:25 PM   #1

Administration building in downtown Salt Lake City.
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2007, 10:28 PM   #2

I forget the name of this building. I think it was the Arts Center. It was taken just before we left for the airport. We didn't have the opportunity to go inside.
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2007, 10:49 PM   #3

nice shots! I quite like #2, and #1 could benefit from a slight leftward rotation! nice architecture!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 6:12 AM   #4

Dr. Mr. V,

You're right. I kept thinking that, but the bottom steps seemed to be in line. I made a slight leftward adjustment (.35º). If I do much more, the bottom steps are too obviously out of line. To my eyes, this seems to be a halfway point.

Patty
Old May 17, 2007, 12:44 PM   #5

I am not sure how you got that view in the first shot. The perspective distortion makes no sense to me. You seem to be centered on the steps. If you had the camera centered on the door and point up, the distortion should be the same on both sides. This is wierd. Anyway, I loaded the image into Paint Shop Pro X and ran the perspective correction tool on it. It straightened everything. With your permission, I'll post it.

The second image is great.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 10:00 PM   #6

Cal, I'm not sure what you mean by the distortion perspective makes no sense. The photo was taken with my 18-55 lens set at 18mm. I was standing at the bottom of the stairs centered on the rail in the middle looking up towards the building.

I guess I could have put it through PS, but didn't think that was acceptable. At least as much as I would have had to do to it to make it all straight.

Feel free to post what you did with the image. I'm curious to see how you think it should look.

I'm also posting a shot I took of the doorway only. (I know this is three shots in one post. Just trying to keep it all together.) I did adjust the tilt again by .7º to the left this time and cropped off a small sliver of the right side to make it centered. This was taken with the same lens at 40mm. Could it be that my lens is not right. (Or, maybe it's just the photographer! :-))

Thanks for the comment on the second photo. It was an interesting looking building. But, we were running out of time. I'd never ventured to that side of the street all week. We found all sorts of interesting things over there.

Attached Images

Old May 17, 2007, 11:27 PM   #7

What I was referring to was the fact that the pillars on the left side lean in but the ones on the right are nearly vertical. I could understand that if the camera were tilted. However the steps are level. Normal perspective distortion is symmetrical. That is, the pillars on the right should lean in by the same amount as the ones on the left if you were centered on the door.

Anyway, here is the image after I ran the perspective correction tool on it.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote