Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 18, 2007, 8:53 PM   #11

Steve,

I am fascinated by this lighthouse photo for several reasons. there's a person sitting on the right handside looking quite lonely or maybe just resting.

The water is not obvious in this shot, not that many shots of lighthouses have water plainly visible, but as an island boy I am so accustomed to seeing these things with water nearby I was it taken back when I couldn't detect any.

I actually looked at other representations of the lighthouse and saw the water.

I'm a sucker for lighthouses and photographed almost all of the Hawaii ones except for the one on the small island of Molokai.

Thanks for sharing. Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 12:01 AM   #12

Cal, I once agian thank you for your compliment.
Actually, I took an almost identical shot of this lighthouse exactly one year earlier. They have continued to make improvements to the area. I have included that earlier shot for comparison. For the record, I prefer the other shot's composition.
Thanks again.
Steve

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 12:16 AM   #13

selvin wrote:
Quote:
Steve,

I am fascinated by this lighthouse photo for several reasons. there's a person sitting on the right handside looking quite lonely or maybe just resting.

The water is not obvious in this shot, not that many shots of lighthouses have water plainly visible, but as an island boy I am so accustomed to seeing these things with water nearby I was it taken back when I couldn't detect any.

I actually looked at other representations of the lighthouse and saw the water.

I'm a sucker for lighthouses and photographed almost all of the Hawaii ones except for the one on the small island of Molokai.

Thanks for sharing. Aloha
Selvin, Thank you for your kind words.

The lonely looking sole seated at the back of the lighthouse is my wife taking in the whales that were migrating north. Though not consciously done, I admit that when I later viewed the picture I too was intrigued by the fact that not a drop of ocean could be seen. I thought that was quite different for a lighthouse picture which usually has ample ocean in the scene.
If you are so inclined there are many other shots of this lighthouse and the keepers home (both the restored one and the one waiting to be restored) at the following link.

http://scienceguy.smugmug.com/gallery/2869379#P-1-15

Thanks again for your nice comments.

Steve
Old May 19, 2007, 12:35 PM   #14

calr wrote:
Quote:
I have to disagree with Kita. The alignment of elements in a shot may be beyond the photographers control but, ultimately, the photographer makes the choice of how to use those elements. The ability to see a photograph in a scene is more important than arranging the elements. Steve didn't put the sidewalk there but he was able to see how well the sidewalk created an interesting composition.

In the anchored post titled "Recommended Reading" at the top of the forum, I recommend a book titled "The Art of Seeing". This book deals entirely with the ability to see a photograph in a scene that other people would just ignore. We tried a challenge about a year ago based on this theme but not too many people participated. I don't think they understood what it was all about.

I strongly recommend that everyone get a copy of the "The Art of Seeing" and read it cover to cover. Then read it again. The book applies equally to all types of cameras, digital or film.

Cal
Cal- I agree with what you said, mostly.....my comment was based on the statement from Hagar...."I like the way you have lined up the shot. The path leads straight to the side door."...As I said, (and Steve jokingly acknowledged) The path had to be lined up with the door in the first place, it wasn't the "lining it up" that made it that way. I think I gave appropriate credit for "seeing", at the end of my post where I said..."but the alignment element of this shot is not to the photographer's credit. (other than in recognizing it's existance)"

Steve- my mistake was not saying more than "Nice", to you. I think it's a wonderful shot and truly well "Seen".

Thanks,
Kita
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 4:49 PM   #15

Kita,
No mistake made in my opinion. I knew what your point was and I appreciate your comments.
It's all good.
Steve