Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 17, 2007, 10:11 AM   #1

Here is my humble offering.
Cheers,
Steve

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2007, 10:38 AM   #2

Well I won't say it is a humble offer,but an interesting offer.I am grabing it.Is it fine with you??
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 12:51 PM   #3

Humble?? You should be proud. I think this is the best shot I've seen posted for this challenge. The way the sidewalk in the foreground leads your eyes to the circle around the light house is truly outstanding!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 2:51 PM   #4

Wow, high praise indeed. Thank you both very much for your wonderful comments. Please, mcliu, grab away. Cal, thank you very much for your generous compliment.
With much appreciation,
Steve
Old May 17, 2007, 4:32 PM   #5

Great

In addition to what has been said already I like the way you have lined up the shot. The path leads straight to the side door.

Nice.

Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 10:28 PM   #6

I like it. Although, it looks so lonely out there all by itself.:sad:
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 2:34 PM   #7

Nice.....

BTW...if the path didn't really lead straight to the side door, I don't think Steve could have made it look that way....no offense intended, but the alignment element of this shot is not to the photographer's credit. (other than in recognizing it's existance)
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 3:12 PM   #8

Kita wrote:
Quote:
BTW...if the path didn't really lead straight to the side door, I don't think Steve could have made it look that way....no offense intended, but the alignment element of this shot is not to the photographer's credit. (other than in recognizing it's existance)
Thank you.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 5:59 PM   #9

Oh come on. That door was really on the other side and it was only through my amazing photographic slight of hand that I was able to create the illusion of a door at he end of the path. :O No? not buying it?
Ok, the path leads from the door out to a flag pole that was just behind me in the shot. Thanks just the same for all of the nice comments. BTW the locals have been working hard raising money and restoring this wonderful lighthouse and the keepers houses.
Cheers and all the best,
Steve
Old May 18, 2007, 6:15 PM   #10

I have to disagree with Kita. The alignment of elements in a shot may be beyond the photographers control but, ultimately, the photographer makes the choice of how to use those elements. The ability to see a photograph in a scene is more important than arranging the elements. Steve didn't put the sidewalk there but he was able to see how well the sidewalk created an interesting composition.

In the anchored post titled "Recommended Reading" at the top of the forum, I recommend a book titled "The Art of Seeing". This book deals entirely with the ability to see a photograph in a scene that other people would just ignore. We tried a challenge about a year ago based on this theme but not too many people participated. I don't think they understood what it was all about.

I strongly recommend that everyone get a copy of the "The Art of Seeing" and read it cover to cover. Then read it again. The book applies equally to all types of cameras, digital or film.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote