Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 17, 2007, 10:36 PM   #1

I don't know why the two images came out shaded so differently. I tried adjusting one in PS, but it just didin't look right. So, am posting as taken.

These are the two sides of the Conference Center in SLC where we watched the "Music and the Spoken Word" performance last Sunday. This conference center is the largest in the world without standing beam supports. It holds 21,000 people.

Here is a link to the presentation from Sunday with world-renowned baritone Bryn Terfel - http://www.mormontabernaclechoir.org/pages/Elijah
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2007, 10:38 PM   #2

And, the other side. And, yes, you have seen this shot before from another challenge. But, I retook them after last year's with film didn't come out as expected.

Never mind the difference. I see I had the exposure time set differently on each.

That group of people on the right was in my tour group. I had sneaked off to get these photos.
Attached Images

Old May 18, 2007, 9:12 PM   #3

NHMom,

Yes, your camera wil compensate by changing its exposure as you rotate the camera from one side of thet concert hall to the next.

There are several ways to defeat this auto setting. The first is simply place the camera in manual mode and duplicate the settings from one side to the next.

The other is to use what most camera manufacturers call AEL or auto exposure lock. It locks the settings from the first picture for subsequent photos until you toggle AEL off. It's great for doing panoramic shots since the same exposure settings are genrally used for every frame of the panorama.

Good luck. Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 9:06 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips, Selvin. Yes, my camera does have AEL. Just hadn't figured a need for it yet. Now I have.:-)
Old May 19, 2007, 9:33 AM   #5

Nice shot of the hall. I think the thing that threw your exposure off was the brightness of the wall in front of the lower balcony. In the first shot you appear to be closer to that wall than in the second. Your metering mode may have affected the exposure, also. If you were using spot metering before taking these shots and forgot to change it back to matrix metering, then your exposure will be determine by where the spot is pointing rather than the full scene.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote