Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 24, 2007, 12:24 PM   #1

Here's an old crib barn on an abandoned farm near Chicago. It's actually right next to a large shopping complex (I'm standing in the parking lot for this shot)

They're disappearing quick around here, and being replaced by condos and shopping malls.

#2 is a round barn in Fulton County, Indiana - home of the Round Barn Festival coming up in early June. We'll be able to tour 9 round barns, many are still in use today.

lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2007, 3:01 PM   #2

Great captures on both shots. I don't think I've ever seen one of those round barns before. Do you have any interior shots?

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 3:35 PM   #3

calr: I dont' have any interior shots of the 5 or 6 round barns I've photographed. I plan on attending the Round Barn Festival in a couple of weeks, so I hope to get a lot then. For now, I just have to sneak around to get my barn photos!
Old May 24, 2007, 10:31 PM   #4

Both photos are very cool. I like the way the color of the sky gradiates in the first one. And, I've never actually seen a round barn except in a drawing on the placemats at a local German restaurant we frequent.

So, you're sneaking around taking photos, too. I took one today and thought I was going to be stopped when someone on a motorcycle appeared out of nowhere heading towards me. He just happened to be going through the field I guess. And, I was going to get another one from a church yard across the street, but the parking lot was full of people when I went to stop today.

Does anyone know ifit's legal to take photos of other people's property without their consent? My husband says there's nothing wrong with it. But, I don't think I'd want people taking photos of my yard without me saying it was okay.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 12:06 AM   #5

thanks for the comments.

Round barns were fairly common in the midwest in the late 1800's and early 1900's - there are still quite a few left.

It's absolutely okay and legal to photograph things that are in the public view. I don't trespass onto private property without asking, so I guess I'm safe.
Old May 25, 2007, 9:00 AM   #6

Here's a piece on the legality of photographing buildings and other public edifices:

"Only buildings created after December 1, 1990 are protected by copyright. Fortunately for photographers, the copyright in an architectural work does not include the right to prevent others from making and distributing photos of the constructed building, if the building is located in a public place or is visible from a public place. So you don't need permission to stand on a public street and photograph a public building. You don't need permission to photograph a public building from inside the building (although you may need permission to photograph separately-owned decorative objects in the building, such as a statue). You don't need permission to stand on a public street and photograph a private building such as a church or a house.

This "photographer's exception" to the copyright-owner's rights applies only to buildings, a category which includes houses, office buildings, churches, gazebos, and garden pavilions. The exception does not apply to monuments (protectable as "sculptural works") or other copyrighted works, such as statues and paintings."

Taken from, "An Introduction to the
Legal Aspects of Travel Photography"

By Dianne Brinson,
a copyright attorney,
for PhotoSecrets

The full URL is: http://www.photosecrets.com/tips.law.html

Hope this helps.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 6:45 PM   #7

Thanks, Selvin. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. The weather is going to be cooler and drier and I'm off work for the three day weekend! Heading to The Butterfly Place in Massachusetts. Will see what I can find on the way now that I know I'm legal.:-)
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote