Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 24, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1

Here is one I took today. I tried to do some research online about the barn, but all I could find was info about the mountain bike trails around it.
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2007, 8:39 AM   #2

NhMom,

This is a toughie. Like any good photographer you used the arch of the trees to frame the house but it is quite some distance away so you lost the a bit of details. As a viewer I'm chomping at the bit wondering what's the building like.

If you move in closer to get the details on the building then you lose the framing. The area around the building doesn't seem to have enough beauty to carry the shot. So that leaves us with just the building.

I wonder what the buidling looks like close up?

Just rambling thoughts. Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 10:57 AM   #3

I agree, Selvin. I struggled with how to compose the shot to make it more than "just a building". There was a closer shot more head on that I could have included trees in, but there were road signs smack in the middle of that one. If I dare walk through the grass with the ticks, I might be able to get a real closeup shot that would be of more interest. We'll see what I can do this weekend. That is if I can find a way over the wall. It was about 4' high.
Old May 25, 2007, 3:31 PM   #4

I have a bad habit. When I encounter a photo where I can't seem to come up with a constructive comment, I tend to close it and try to get back to it a day or so later. That is the case with this photo.

The colors and sharpness are great but the composition is not the best. I would think you could go a short way down the wall to the left and get a better shot. You may not be able to get the framing of the trees but you will get a better view of the building. You could also zoom in as much as you lens allows from the location where this photo was shot to get the building better. After all, this challenge is about the buildings. We encourage use of artistic elements such as natural framing if possible. However, it is not always possible.

Something to think about.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 7:02 PM   #5

I did take a few other shots. Here are two of them. I just didn't like them as much as the first one. Although, I guess for this challenge being buildings it wasn't the best choice.

I was trying to stay away froma more direct shot of the barn farther down the road because of the direction of the sun that time of the day. Further down the road would have given me a ton of sun glare. As it was I was using my hood for this shot and standing behind one of the trees to use the shade to shade the lens more. I guess I could always go back another time of the day. But, you work with what you have at the time.

Anyway, here's a different shot.
Attached Images

Old May 25, 2007, 7:11 PM   #6

Here is the other one that was zoomed in at 55mm. The first one was at 28mm. I think the other thing I like about the first shot is the stone wall that to me adds to the age of the scene.

This one was up the road behind the tree you see in the first photo. Not to make excuses, but I was also having to contend with fairly deep mud on the side of the road and I had on mydress shoes. I was walking down the road to get to the spots, then going straight into where I wanted to be. Even though this scene looks very serene, it was 6 p.m. and a very busy road two lane road.
Attached Images

Old May 25, 2007, 7:17 PM   #7

I like both of these shots much better than the first. And... you still have some framing from the tree branch. Good Job.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 6:46 AM   #8

Thanks, Cal.
Old May 26, 2007, 6:52 AM   #9

I like this old place, I hope you are able to come back to it again and hop over that fence. I bet this place would look cool in the fall on a nice clear day.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 8:41 AM   #10

Thanks, Bob. It is beautiful in the fall. Had just never stopped to photograph it even though I'd wanted to a million times.

May go out later today as the weather is turning out great today. Went out early morning for some shots for a class, but not as far as this barn. I got some of a different barn, but kept having to get out of the road for the darn cars that wanted to go by. I thought Sunday morning I could get away with it!