Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 25, 2007, 8:39 AM   #1

The problem was to balance between the shadows and the highlights. In this situation, either the highlights get completely burnt out or the shadows lose all detail. Oh, the blue from the sky is quite noticible through the window.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2007, 9:13 AM   #2

Meryl,

As you noted in your posting, this is not an easy shot. The lighting conditions are "harsh." The easy way out is the take two shots one set for the low light inside and the other for the bright lights coming thru the window and door. Then of course merge them. Works for the pros but unfortunately frowned on in this forum.

A number of the newer cameras offer what they allude to is a stretching of the dynamic range of their sensors to allow for wider latitude in the amount of light in a sinlge shot that can be processed meaningfully. The Sony Alpha 100 I have is supposed to offer this but I haven't used it yet.

Given all this you did the best you could. My only nit-pick is that a tripod would help to reduce the slight softness in the shot. Good work.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 3:22 PM   #3

An interesting photo. I concur it is a difficult situation. However, I think the rules we have posted for post-processing do not apply here. Many professional photographers use the two exposure method to get the highs and lows to work together. This is a technique that has been used in the darkroom long before digital processing was available. Unfortunately, the darkroom process for merging two photos is much more difficult.

Having said all that, the merging of two photos in a good photo editor is still not an easy process. It requires the use of layers and masks. Personally, I have never learned the technique.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 11:15 AM   #4

I learned how to do layers and masks with some great directions for "oobs" (out of bounds pictures). They were alot of fun and a great way to learn the process.

There is a barn which I have tried to photograph and the layering method may be the way to go...thanks, I'm going to give it atry.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote