Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 30, 2007, 8:42 PM   #1

This is a barn and silo in the town I live in. I believe it was built in 1835 as the house across the street that, I believe "goes" with this barn, was built then.
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2007, 8:50 PM   #2

And, here is the mill down the street. I've posted this buiding before, but with all the rains the past two years they seem to have repositioned the viewpoints of the building. I could never get to the side like this before. They've also stopped water flow over the dam temporarily. It's coming through closer to where I was standing.
Attached Images

Old May 30, 2007, 8:59 PM   #3

Wow, Mom....that Mill is a great shot!

Is that still active? What did (does) it mill?

I like the barn shot, too.

Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2007, 8:07 PM   #4

Great shots! I wish we could go back in time!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 8:00 AM   #5

Thanks, Kita and Bob.

Had to do some research on the mill. My book says it dates back to 1740 to 1753. In 1753 there was a saw mill and grist mill. When it was sold in 1761 it included an Ironwork and Grist Mill and "proper yard and stream pond and 1/4 part of the whole stream where a Saw Mill stands on the same dam in which everyone shall have his equal part of the water of said stream." It was a cooperative mill in that every 2 or 3 weeks during a three month period 12 to 24 share holders had the use of it.

It's been owned by many people over the years (obviously being 250 years old). It once had an engine and boiler in it to power it. But, it was taken out in the 1930's. The mill is not in use any more.

This book is describing two mills that were there on the river and is hard to distinguish between which one they are talking about at times. But, I think this one was mostly used as the grist mill over the years and the one across the river, which partially still stands, they used to make "early American miniatures and wooden novelty items" at one time among other things. That one, which is now just a building,is a plastics molding company.