Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 8, 2007, 12:44 PM   #1

(this is meant to preceed the post that probably appears above, sorry!)
Sorry I'm late, but I've been working on this for ages, mostly waiting for the thick cloud to dissipate. This rectangular, but decorated block is my own home. It's old (1845 or so), and historic. It was originally a pair of cottages, in one of which the 1st World War poet, Wilfred Owen, stayed on holiday as a teenager. Here he experienced his first blossomings of poetry, inspired by the surroundings.

The house looks better in context (see next post). The views of the Mersey & Dee estuaries from the nearby hilltop that inspired Owen will have to wait for a more appropriate challenge.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2007, 12:48 PM   #2

Only one photographer was harmed by the vegetation in the production of this shot.
Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2007, 4:12 PM   #3

Nice shots, Alan. I see an old building that has been extensively modernized. Too wit, I see solar heating panels and aluminum windows. I don't think the chimney cap is original but I may be wrong.

Which photographer was harmed and was it by the thorns in that berry bush?

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:20 PM   #4

Alan,

What coincidence to be associated with something as personal as Wilfred Owen's teenage home. His poetry was certainly among the most intense to emerge from the "great wars".

The relative brief and tragic poetic career of Wilfred Owen adds more ammunition to the waste of warfare.

Lovely shots. I briefly visited England for about three weeks several years ago and concentrated mainly on the English urban areas. My next trip must certainly include some of it rural villages. The shots are certainly well done.

Aloha and thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:04 PM   #5

calr wrote:
Quote:
old building that has been extensively modernized........solar heating panels...........aluminum windows. I don't think the chimney cap is original
''''''''''photographer was harmed............berry bush?
Not much modernised, apart from addition of a smallextension at the back and the bay windows, the inside removal of a wall to make to make the a large living room, and a new staircase. The walls are solid, so low-cost insulation is a problem, and it's a low energy house only because we don't heat it much.

The solar panels are beautifully simple and predate us (we arrived 1982) and are from the late 1970s. Because of their antiquity they're lacking a differential controller just at present, and I switch the pumpon & off manually. They nevertheless provide a large proportion of our hot water.

The window frames are all wood. The chimney stack was rebuilt a few years ago. The chimney pot may be original,as we have the other, very brittle one of a pair on the ground as a plant tub.

My puncture wounds are healing nicely, thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:35 PM   #6

Here's Paul Farley, the Liverpool poet, interviewing my son in our kitchen and admiring the view while making a 45min documentary 'Strange Meetings' about the roots of Owen's poetry, broadcast by the BBC during a 'Wilfred Owen Remembrance week' last November.

All of Owen's war poetry was read and there was a series of talks of about it, in the intervals of concerts for a whole week. See...

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/sundayfeature/pip/ukwg1/

Alan T

Attached Images