Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 13, 2007, 4:27 AM   #1

Smoke from nearby burning leaves drifted into a nearby woods enhancing the sun's rays.
Joe B.
Attached Images

joenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2007, 6:21 AM   #2

Very striking!

The tree right down the middle is remarkably straight. I had to copy the image and twiddle it to be sure it was a tree, rather than a windowframe through which you'd shot it.

You've given me an idea. Next to my 'got one at last' faint ray picture location is a great dump of waste twigs awaiting burning. In the unlikely event of the sun shining long enough in the near future, I'll have to build a bonfire upwind of the scenery, with due regard to sun direction and fire hazard.

Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 6:21 AM   #3

Cool, joenl. I had thought of kicking up some dirt to make the ray's more evident here, but figured that was cheating. This wasn't cheating at all. Good job.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 6:42 AM   #4

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
....kicking up some dirt....figured that was cheating.
Brilliant idea. The power(s) that be should be consulted on its legality right here, but why not try it and worry later? It would be a highly valuable method in scientific or technical photography, I'm sure.

Smoke and all sorts of strange objects are used to visual flow. Otherwise, technically difficult Schlieren photography is necessary.Your technique would be tovisualise & enhance sunbeam edge contrast (flow of photons).

Years ago, a technical photographer colleague of mine made a film of experiments to visualise snow accretion on overhead power lines, (and used a snowdrift image of mine for the titles). The objects used for visualisation of the flow and simulation of the accretion were small pieces of torn lavatory paper in a stream of water.

This has given me an idea for a new challenge suggestion! Watch that space.

Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 9:15 AM   #5

beautiful, This is what I call an image with the difference..Well done
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:07 AM   #6

Outstanding image!
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 2:41 PM   #7

This is a great shot Joe!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 2:53 PM   #8

Here is the full image. The 1st was a crop of the original.
Joe B.
Attached Images

joenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 4:26 PM   #9

Beautiful shots. This makes me recall many past camping trips where there were usually sunrays in the campfire smoke in the morning, yet I don't have photos of any!

AlanT, this is for you to think about...
The idea of creating smoke for these types of shots creates mixed emotions with me. One side of me says go for it. Check with a theatrical light shop. They have an aerosol spray the creates a smoke effect on demand It is in an aerosol can just like paint or bug spray.

The other side of me says that if you are creating the environment that makes it possible to see the sun rays, you are cheating and going against the intent of the challenge which is to capture natural sun rays.

This is sort of like cutting down some branches that are in the way of that perfect shot. There is an unwritten rule that no plant material should be damaged or cut for the purpose of photography. However, nobody says you can't use that duct tape in your camera bag to temporarily hold that branch out of the way. You say you don't have any duct tape in your bag...you're going to get some tomorrow...right??

Ah, the older I get, the more of a philosopher I become.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:18 PM   #10

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
Brilliant idea. The power(s) that be should be consulted on its legality right here, but why not try it and worry later? It would be a highly valuable method in scientific or technical photography, I'm sure.

Smoke and all sorts of strange objects are used to visual flow. Otherwise, technically difficult Schlieren photography is necessary.Your technique would be tovisualise & enhance sunbeam edge contrast (flow of photons).

Well, I guess it was worth a try! I just read Cal's comments on the topic.

I think this challenge is going to be a near miss for me except for the one I already posted. I have yet to see a single sun ray since it started. We have yet to almost see the sun period :shock: I'll keep looking, though.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote