Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 13, 2007, 8:26 PM   #1

Most of my searching for rays has been in very picturesque settings....in my woods, over water, etc. However, it was coming out of Kroger that I looked up and saw this one.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:08 PM   #2

Hey Trojan, I've noticed that the last few photos you have posted are focused on something in the foreground leaving most of the frame out of focus. Such is the case with this shot. I am wondering if you camera has an automatic function to seek out and focus on what it thinks is the subject. If this is the case, can the feature be turned off? When you are not shooting people, I think it might be better to use center-spot auto focus where the spot in the center of the viewfinder determines the focus point. You might want to take a look at this.

If I am all wet, please say so.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:40 PM   #3

Call, you're not all wet, and focusing has been giving me problems with this challenge although I'm not so sure that this one is so badly out of focus. Were you referring to the rays themselves or to the edges of the clouds? The rays themselves were very soft naturally and the roughness around the clouds was more light burning through than a focus issue. I went back to the uncropped image and could easily read a Red Lobster sign across the highway and down the street about half a block, so it wasn't a case of excessive close focusing.

You were exactly on target on the previous shot, but I can't put the blame on the camera. It was a manual focus shot with an f2.0 50mm prime. I think I had the aperature far too wide, leaving to great DOF for closeups, but focusing difficulty when trying to capture an area in which I want good detail at greater depth.

The shot through the tree was simply being overwhelmed by a bright sun right in the eye as I was focusing on trying for dramatic effect of the rays (which you identified as iris blade diffusion)

I tend to try to manual focus almost all of my shots. I do a lot of long lens shots of fairly small birds, and I find the auto-focus to be unreliable, even working center point. Generally, I get good focus on these types of shots, however getting what the camera says is "in focus" and what my eye sees is not consistent. It makes me wonder if I need to look at the diopter adjustment on my viewfinder.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote