Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 19, 2007, 2:42 PM   #1

The orientation of a photo can change the affects of composition,light and mood.

Vertical images stress depth and height while horizontal images give us a feeling of calmness and stability.

For this challenge, use shape as your guide and show us images using vertical orientation. Usually tall subjects (individual people or sports subjects) work better in vertical orientation while landscapes or elongated subjects work better with horizontal orientation.

While vertical orientation is our challenge, try both vertical and horizontal and see how the images change mood and structure. To extend the challenge just a bit, .feel free to share both as a comparison and share with us how you feel the image worked better.

Happy shooting.

vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:15 PM   #2

I think this is going to be a very interesting challenge.

In reviewing a portion of the photos in my database (over 22,000 photos), I find that in most cases, where there was a vertical shot, it was the only way the shot could be taken. To use a horizontal or landscape shot in the same situation would have introduced to much extraneous information into the photo. On the other hand, if you can do it, in a situation where it appears that only a vertical shot will work, using a horizontal shot with the subject to one side of the frame can produce more drama.

What I am really trying to say is that there are situations where only vertical framing will work and situations where only horizontal framing will work. There are also situations where either format can work and it is up to you as a photographer and artist to decide what format and placement of the subject works best. Sometimes you have to shoot all possible combinations and decide later which is the best. With film, that kind of shooting was very expensive but with digital, shoot to your heart's content!

This is where the book I have recommended many times, "The Art of Seeing", can really provide you with some great tips on how to handle these situations.

Good luck to you all and thank you, Vanessa, for coming up with this interesting and "challenging" challenge!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote