Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:13 PM   #1

Here is the same scene shot in both vertical and horizontal formats. The scene in Washington Park on the west side of Portland, Oregon.

Scanned 35mm negatives.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:38 PM   #2

Colorful. Beautiful shot of a beautiful place.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:14 PM   #3

Well, I think I'm learning from this challenge that when faced with beautiful scenes, many different shots are possible, and quite often many of them will be good.

It would have been sad to miss either of these by having to choose; the second one just offers a 'bigger picture'. The first says "let's go up there" and the second "which way shall we go?" Must drag the family to one of our nearby botanic gardens soon.

My proposed digicam with a square 10 megapixel sensor would now have a rectangular grid in the screen showing highlighted movable portrait & landscape outlines, and (a) a3-position selector to shoot all, portrait, or landscape selections of pixels, and (b) a 'motor drive' mode to shoot all,plus 1 or 2 rectangular preselections at once.

Actually it's a shame to have all the pixels coming through a high quality tubular optical system, and throw away the sectors outside a square. How about a circular sensor in a camera that keeps the lot?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:01 AM   #4

I like the colors on both of these, but the vertical is particularly appealing. The path just seems to be shouting to be explored. Beautiful setting and great shots.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 6:38 AM   #5

I think I prefer the vertical because of the roadway on the leftyou included in the horizontal shot. It seems to take away from the natural beauty you have captured.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 6:52 AM   #6

vsch1 wrote:
Quote:
...roadway on the left..included in..horizontal shot...take..from the natural beauty...
Nothing that a bit of judicious genetic pixel engineering couldn't fix! (<Grins> & <Ducks>The appropriate smiley appeared entirely by accident. How did I do that?!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 10:32 PM   #7

Thank you, everyone for your kind remarks. I actually shot these photos several years ago. The first, cropped a little better, was entered into the Oregon State Fair but didn't win anything. It was exhibited, however.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 3:38 AM   #8

Cal,

As others have noted their preferences for the vertical mode, I'll also cast my vote with them.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote