Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:51 AM   #1

here is one from yesterday, 3 shot vertical pano from the old bridge at kirkby longsdale, looking down river

Gary

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2007, 2:43 PM   #2

Extreme version of the challenge, and very effective. I like it a lot, but I might have cropped just a bit closer at the top. Nice work, and nice example of the dynamic effect of a vertical composition.
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 2:44 PM   #3

Extreme version of the challenge, and very effective. I like it a lot, but I might have cropped just a bit closer at the top. Nice work, and nice example of the dynamic effect of a vertical composition.
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 3:29 PM   #4

I have mixed emotions about this shot. I think panorama stitches are great. I've done a few, myself. However, I think the vertical panorama doesn't work very well in this case. It is a very narrow and tall. I would like to see you turn the camera 90° and repeat the panorama sequence with a four-shot sequence. This would get you the same scene but a little bit wider.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:37 PM   #5

my only niggle is that there's a bit too much sky. the interest in the photo is all in the lower half, and the sky just takes up space. other than that, i like the overall composition... though as Cal said, a wider, shorterversion might be even better...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:23 PM   #6

I actually really liked this composition - I thought the sky nicely balanced the foreground without being overbearing - butI copied it an played with it in PaintShop Pro and I must admit it looks better to me with just a bit cropped out of the sky... Hope you don't mind my posting the edit...

BB
Attached Images

bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:31 PM   #7

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
one from yesterday...kirkby longsdale, looking down river
Gary, as you know, 'yesterday' was Mon25Jun07, when the worst rainfall ever recorded in the UK fell. Mostly it was a bit further further south on your & my homes.

So the imposing, threatening sky is of meteorological interest. Like the others, I'd like to have seen more of it, but wider not shorter, i.e., stitched horizontal shots, or twice as many shots in another strip alongside the others. The demo 'autostitch' does them very nicely. I love the concept of the whole shot but want more width. However, for all I know there are nasty intrusions just out of shot.

Did you hang around long enough before getting wet to take any horizontal shots of the same scene? Also a few hours' trip back right soon now for an 'after' shot would be nice! Anyway given K.L's normal weather, I expect a shot with the river in spate will commonly be available when you're passing. Maybe I'll take a look on my way N in a few weeks' time.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 4:02 AM   #8

it is very difficult to do good vertical stitching with focus conciderations so technically you have a very good shot, well done, as for the composition, what can you do on a dull day with no contrast, its the same weather down here but not so much rain but the rivers are high,but very little sun.
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:00 AM   #9

the shot was taken that way because it was for vertical biweekley shootout

i have 100s of horizontal panoramics on my site www.hd7.co.uk but a sparse collection of verticals so im
allways looking out for oppertunaty to shoot vertical.

they do look totaly different printed out at 3 foot by 1 foot, to the tiny size when posted on internet.

sorry folkes but didnt do a wide version as it didnt intrest me from that point of view.

bobbert id have cropped a touch more sky, not tried it in my template i use yet to get all my panos same ratio though

Alan i tired autostich eons ago but it didnt live upto my demands, too much vagueness and ghosts for me, i want the images to stand upto inspecion at 36x12 print outs, and sorry to say i
didnt get any other shots. i do somewhere on my pc have a wide panoramic from up river looking back at the old bridge but i never quite liked it

bill, u hit the nail on the head mate ....vertical is harder.......focus and exposure are hard to nail...am assuming u have tried one :-) it was technicaly a hard shot indeed glad u noticed

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:35 AM   #10

Focus and exposure are always potential problems when shooting photos for stitching into a panorama. If you use auto-exposure, the exposure for each shot may be different making it difficult to match up. The same is true for auto-focus. The focus can end up different for each shot and, again, difficult to match up.

The solution is to use manual focus and manual exposure. Focus on the object that you want clear and use that setting for all shots in the sequence. Set the exposure for the part of the scene that is a good median between the lightest and darkest parts of the scene and use that exposure setting for all shots in the sequence.

By using manual operations for the pano sequence, stitching will work much better. Another tip, don't do any post-processing on any of the images until after stitching. If you post-process the individual images, they probably won't stitch as well.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote