Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:33 PM   #1

I usually shot horizontal, just the way my eyes work naturally, but thissubject definitely wanted to be vertical.

This was hand held at 1/5 sec using a Nikon 5700. Do you think it would have been possible with an SLR wih the mirror flapping?
Attached Images

bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:58 PM   #2

I have this same shot taken about 10 years agoexcept I cut off above the doors to stop the sun coming in. It was taken with my old p&s and due to the low light conditions is not very clear.

Nice attempt.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:28 PM   #3

This is a potentially beautiful shot but it has some problems. The bright light from the doors at the bottom are throwing your exposure off. I would adjust the zoom so as the crop out the doors. This would give you much better exposure on the organ. I have been an organist and organ lover all my life and I would like this photo to show the organ better! If you spot metered on the organ, it would come out better but the doors would be totally blown out.

Another option that could be used here is a split neutral density filter adjusted to darken the bottom part of the picture.

Another minor problem that could be corrected in your editor is the photo is tilted slightly.

Regarding the slow shutter speed, you have no business shooting handheld with any camera at 1/5th second. There is a rule for hand held shooting that says don't hand hold for any shutter speed that is less than the focal length of the lens. For example, if the lens focal length 50mm, the slowest shutter speed for hand held is 1/50 sec. For a 200mm lens, don't hanld hold at shutter speeds slower than 1/200th sec. With the lighting in that church, assuming flash is not allow or desired, you should definitely be using a tripod.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 3:52 AM   #4

imho, the shot is great as is, for me it focuses the eyes towards the imposing organ lit by the lights, the eye is drawn to the main subject, just enough light to make out the subject but not enough to know for sure what it is, creating some mystery in the shot, with the people coming in the organ has dominance over them, watching them, subjugating them into submission almost, I like it
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 4:05 AM   #5

calr wrote:
Quote:
...crop out the doors...
...shooting handheld ....1/5th second....
IMO removing the doors would miss the whole point of the shot. I think it's a fine composition. Itbeautifully captures the atmosphere I feel whenever I enter a cathedral as a tourist on a sunny day.

Tripods are lovely when they're to hand, but surely we'd have to be really nuts about photography to take one everywhere. I've had a breakthrough with my new image-stabilised zoom lens, which means it's even less likely I'll have one whenI see a beautiful shot. This shot is brilliant for the conditions, I think.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:06 AM   #6

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
Tripods are lovely when they're to hand, but surely we'd have to be really nuts about photography to take one everywhere. I've had a breakthrough with my new image-stabilised zoom lens, which means it's even less likely I'll have one whenI see a beautiful shot. This shot is brilliant for the conditions, I think.
I own a Manfroto tripod with a three-way head and it is quite heavy. Still, I carry it with me most places. If I have a choice between carrying my tripod and my backpack camera bag which weighs about twice as much as the tripod, I opt for the tripod.

An alternative to a tripod is a monopod and if you don't want to carry one of those, might I suggest carrying one or two beanbag pillows to steady the camera while resting it on the back or end of one of those pews.

I think you get the point. Slow shutter speeds and hand-held is a recipe for disaster. You may think you can hold the camera steady enough at 1/5th of a second but that is an eternity for a digital sensor that can register an image in 1/10,000th of a second.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote