Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 4, 2007, 9:25 AM   #1

This is on the Cairngorm plateau, leaving Cairn Gorm itself for Beinn MacDuibh, Britain's second-highest mountain.

I'm posting this archive shot from the early 70s (when I was tough) because of the interesting way it's arrived at this monochrome rendering, which I'll describe below...
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2007, 9:44 AM   #2

The original shot was a colour slide, shot with a tiny Rollei 35. As it was almost straight at the sun, there's a lot of flare, but I feel it helps convey the winter sunlight. It was almost monochrome to start with, as it's against the light, as you can see below.

I made a 16x12 Cibachrome print from the slide. Cibachrome was a positive-positive Ilford colour printing process, relatively easy to do, because colour slides could be judged on the enlarger baseboard in positive, and not as an orange-masked negative as with colour negative film. The processing (with very toxic chemicals) could be done outside the darkroom in a large cylindrical print developing tank. I rolled it in a dish of warm water in the bathtub to control the temperature.

The print hangs on our bedroom wall as shown below in context. I've left the ugly TV in because of the intriguing Moire magnification pattern on the loudspeaker, resulting from resizing.

The image on the post above was made by photographing it in colour with my Kodak Z712is, converting to greyscale in PSP, cropping, twiddling the histogram, resizing, and sharpening a bit.

The image in the next post was taken with the B&W setting on the camera. Although the result is very similar, less twiddling was required to achieve this result....

Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2007, 9:48 AM   #3

Using B&W mode...
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2007, 11:46 AM   #4

Hi Alan, this is a great photo, it looks like a scene from Lawrence of Arabia to me.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote