Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 4, 2007, 7:37 PM   #1

Sorry these aren't taken during the challenge, but I have been waiting for a challenge like this to submit them, first one is as it was shot, second one has been colour edited (vintage) then converted to greyscale.
Attached Images

Gerafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2007, 7:37 PM   #2

second
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2007, 9:32 PM   #3

Well, I'm sorry but I don't care for either of these for entirely different reasons.

I spent about five minutes just staring at the first shot trying to figure out why I don't like it. I think it is a combination of things. First is the glare of the light bulbs, especially the one on the right. Second is the lack of detail in the light fixture. I think a bit of low power light in the front would help bring out the detail more. Flash even at low power would be too much. Perhaps a candle or a nightlight with a small (~7w) bulb. You want just enough to illuminate the front of the light fixture but not wash out the shadow patterns on the wall.

The background in the second shot is very dark and with the bushes in front of the van, it yields a very sinister appearance. With the van partly obscured by the brush, especially the back, it looks abandoned. I don't find anything of artistic value in this image.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:07 PM   #4

Thank you for the critique and the technique tip! I'll definitely remember that.
As for the second one though, I find it kind of odd how sinister and abandoned can be used to describe it but it has no artistic value. The darkness and composition I can see being rather unsatisfactory, but what gives something artistic value to you, or to anybody? I think that's an odd question as well (and a very tiring one at that, no need to answer).
Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:20 PM   #5

Agreed, art is VERY subjective. Is Picasso art or trash? Ask 1000 random people and you will probably get a 500/500 split on the answer. Regarding the second photo, some people may consider it artistic. Unfortunately, I do not. However that doesn't mean it is a bad photo. Photos of this type are used every day for documentary purposes. Are documentary photos such as war photos seen in Time magazine art? They certainly are historical art. Are they esthetically pleasing? Generally not. They aren't meant to be. I think your photo falls into this category.

Nuf said!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:36 AM   #6

well, cal said ask 1000 people what they think about picasso and you'll get a 500/500 split. Ask 2, and you should get a 1/1 split (in theory!). consider me the other 1 out of the 2 people responding to your work because i really like the second photo. my only minor complaint is the manicured lawn in the foreground which detracts from the moodiness of the photo. Otherwise brilliant work, i like it a lot!

As for the first image, I'm not really too much of a fan, sad to say. I like the shadows but it's not that interesting to me. To be fair, it's most likely because i use a similar light as a test to learn how my camera meters, so i find it kind of a bland subject. The sepia does add to it, though!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:44 PM   #7

GREAT keep up the good work
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 5:30 AM   #8

;p Well thank you both, and yeah I wasn't sure about the composition. But everytime I look at that van I imagine it is rolling out of the brush onto the lawn, the wild grass it's tires and what not. I suppose I have an over-active imagination though ;p