Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:33 AM   #1

Tonight my wife and I went to a "Pops on the River" concert with the Arkansas Symphony Orchestra on the banks of the Arkansas River in Little Rock. I was immediately drawn to the old railroad drawbridge across the river as a possible subject for this challenge. To my surprise, it was not only a good subject, but it also provided a wonderful frame for a shot of the World War II vintage submarine SS Razorback, moored on the opposite bank of the river. Because nearly everything in the frame was vintage 1945 or so, I used the "Time Machine" box camera effect in PSP 11 for conversion. Because I have seen so many prints from this era with the borders, I left the Time Machine border in.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:34 AM   #2

original shot
Attached Images

Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:37 AM   #3

The Razorback was commissioned late in the war and saw little action during World War II, although it was active during the Korean conflict. The astute will note, probably more so in the original photo, that the Stars and Stripesis not the only flag flying over her conning tower. She was later sold to the Turkish navy, where she remained in active service until the mid 1990's.
Attached Images

Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:38 AM   #4

Original
Attached Images

Old Jul 5, 2007, 2:44 AM   #5

good subject matter, i might punch up the contrast a bit (perhaps) do you have any of the bridge in full frame it looks another good subject for mono?
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 5:29 AM   #6

Bill, the framed shot of the sub is a full-frame shot with no cropping, but funny you should mention it as a good subject for mono. That's my next post.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:11 AM   #7

I guess I need to upgrade to PSP11. I am currently using PSPX and it doesn't have that tool. Your conversions are excellent though you didn't give many details on how you did it. Your narrative is very helpful in understanding the photos. Thanks.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:39 AM   #8

Cal, it's a one-touch conversion just selecting the Time Machine from the Photo Effects on the Effects menu. It's a nice little tool, but I'm not sure it alone is worth upgrading to v.11. There are some other bugs in 11 (I've had some real problems with stability.), and I have read it uses a copy protection scheme that essentially puts a piece of spyware on your computer that checks with Corel each time you use it. Knowing what I know now about the upgrade I probably wouldn't have done it.

You mention needing a good tutorial on layers in PSP. I picked up a book off the bargain table at Books-A-Million titled "Paint Shop Pro X for Photographers," by Ken McMahon & Robin Nichols. It's got some really good material on layering techniques in PSP.

I use PSP for about 90% of my edits, but I have an old Photoshop that I use for some special effects. The Gorman-Holbert process is described in Photoshop terms, and I'm sure it could be duplicated in PSP, but I haven't found all of the equivalent switches yet.