Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:45 PM   #1

Estate auctions are a fact of life everywhere, but in the rural South, they can become a social event. Today, we held an auction to dispose of my late mother-in-law's property. After the family had gotten out all the keepsakes it wanted, the auction company emptied her mobile home and the old tin-covered home in which my wife grew up.

Everything was put on tables in the yard. All the neighbors came in, and the auctioneer drove through the yard on a Kawasaki Mule, selling with a portable PA system. Even the "Ladies Auxilary" of the church got into the act, selling concessions. It was even in the ad that my wife and her sister would be present for the auction to visit with former neighbors.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:50 PM   #2

original
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:53 PM   #3

On a day when the temperature hit 90 by 11am, the hardest working man of the day was the auctioneer, who worked without a break for five hours.
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2007, 10:00 PM   #4

One of the interesting things about the day was that a day that could have been bittersweet, or even very sad, was made a community event in which people of the community got together in a sort of a final goodbye.

My wife was kind of sad to see the old house, which her dad cut down the trees for and built with rough-sawn timber and didn't even have plumbing for much of her childhood, sell for $ 200 for the materials on the provision that the buyer dismantle in down to the ground, but the pleasant atmosphere of the day made even that easier to take.

Even the auctioneer was a family friend. Here's the original of his shot.
Attached Images

Old Jul 8, 2007, 8:14 AM   #5

These shots are good memorabilia shots for the scrapbook but, technically, they are not very good. The focus is soft and the composition not very good. The BW conversions are about as good as the original color shots will allow. You didn't say how you did them.

I am glad all had a good time even though I am sure there were many memories that walked away for "pennies". I have never heard of the community getting involved in an estate auction and making a "picnic" out of it. It sorta sounds like a wake!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote