Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 8, 2007, 2:14 PM   #1

I was playing with aspects of PSE I have never used before to see what effect it would have.
I wish I could remember all the steps to reach this result, but I can't. I know that I removed all color, increased the contract and lowered the brightness. I also added just a little smart blur to soften the sky. That's all I can remember for sure. Sorry.

Steve

Last edited by smac; Jan 29, 2014 at 11:43 PM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2007, 2:20 PM   #2

Here is the original photo.

Old Jul 8, 2007, 2:22 PM   #3

Whatever you did it made the picture turn out great.

I like the clouds on the left and the fence on the right. It gives the whole thing a nice balanced look.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 2:48 PM   #4

Thanks Hagar,
Yeah, sometimes I have to just trust in dumb luck. I appreciate the compliment in any case.
Steve
Old Jul 8, 2007, 3:54 PM   #5

Both lovely pictures.

But I do think the pair of images demonstrate rather strikingly why colour photography was invented as soon as possible!

And why painting pictures has been popular since not long after the dawn of humankind.Carpets offlowers and blue skies not always available in a cave in midwinter. Or even in many houses in England in midsummer 2007.

Alan T

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 5:35 PM   #6

Alan, these are both beautiful photos, however one problem I see with your conversion is that the colors of the flowers are not differentiated in your BW image. They all look the same. I think you need to do some filtering or use the channel mixer so that the different colored flowers appear as different shades in the BW image.

Where was this photo taken? It looks like photos I've seen of the foothills around Mt. Rainier.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 6:47 PM   #7

You make a good point about the different colors of flowers all looking the same. I'm not very well versed in seperating color channels. Too be honest I have no idea how to do it in PS Elements. But I will play with it and see what comes.

As for where the flowers were shot, there is an area about 20 miles from my home called Table Mt. It is basically a flat lava/mudflow cap that has amazing wildflowers in the spring. The rest of the year it's used to graze cattle. It lies just north of Oroville Ca.
I am including a Google Earth screen shot of the area. I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Here is an aside. Oroville Dam, in the lower right, is the highest dam in the united states 770ft tall. I think it's the largest earth filled dam in the world. Or at least one of them. Finished in 1968. In 1975, the weight of the newly filled reservoir caused an earthquake of Mag. 5.7 it was felt up to 70 miles away.
What can I say, I teach science to middle schoolers I can't help myself.
Thanks for your comments,
Steve