Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:12 AM   #1

Obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know that many are not all that fond of spiders, particularly giant hairy spiders. I am not one of those. I have a modest collection of six of these amazing creatures. ( Hello, science teacher....! ) I thought I would try a B&W treatment on one of my favs, a calm and docile Mexican Red-knee gal named Tequila.

Steve

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2007, 4:05 PM   #2

Your BW conversion turned out well!

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 1:29 PM   #3

She certainly is a beauty, even in monochrome. So, how many of these critters do you have? what do they eat?
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 4:31 PM   #4

vsch1 wrote:
Quote:
She certainly is a beauty, even in monochrome. So, how many of these critters do you have? what do they eat?
Thank you Vsch1.
I have six tarantulas in my care so far. I say so far because once your hooked on this hobby you are always looking for or inheriting another spider. All but one are pre-adults. It takes about 4-6 years to reach adulthood. Since they are all females, well all but one yet to be determend, they should live another 15-30 years after that. They mostly eat crickets bought from the pet store. But, they can also eat waxworms, superworms, roaches, and some even feed their larger adults mice (that's an eye opener for sure, not for the squimish)
Thanks for asking,
Here is a link to one of my galleries showing 5 of my spiders displayed in my Jr. High Science romm. The 5th spider is in the little pill vile between the two larger keepers on top of the fridge. I was only about 1 inch long at that time. http://scienceguy.smugmug.com/gallery/1612092#95187104
Cheers.
Steve
Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:48 PM   #5

You didn't happen to go to UC Davis in the late 70's did you? (Being so close living in Chico.) I had a neighbor who had these as pets. Didn't like them then, don't like them now.

But, you did do a good job on the conversion. :-)

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:25 PM   #6

Patty,
Not I. I went to Chico State in the mid-70's. I only started collecting Tarantulas in the last 3 or 4 years. Thanks for asking and the compliment. And don't worry, I know that these hairy little besties aren't for everyone, my wife included. :lol:

Cheers,
Steve