Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 18, 2007, 9:33 PM   #1

For the purposes of this challenge we'll use the defnition posted in Wikipedia, "A portrait is a painting (portrait painting), photograph (portrait photography), or other artistic representation of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant. The intent is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person. For this reason, in photography a portrait is generally not a snapshot, but a composed image of a person in a still position. A portrait often shows a person looking directly at the painter or photographer, in order to most successfully engage the subject with the viewer."

Note the attempt to differentiate between portaits and snapshot (candid) shots in which the individual does not know he or she is being photographed.

For this challenge, self portaits are acceptable. Only legal photos please.

Newcomers should note the, "Guidelines for Posting...."

The recent forum problems have resulted in a slightly weird posting schedule, that shouldn't be a factor. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Here'san example.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:10 PM   #2

That photo is precious! Definitely a keeper!

I have no interest in portrait photography so won't be posting any of my own. However, I will be critiquing as usual.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:34 AM   #3

MINOLTANUT wrote:
Quote:
I have no interest in portrait photography....looks like no-one elsehas either..:shock:
Everyone's busy catching up with the forums, and wondering what to do with 4 or 5 days' worth of mono shots they had in the pipeline (only one, myself, so I got off lightly).

Amazing how much one gets done when the forum's down!

Alan T

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:54 AM   #4

If Selvin doesn't mind, those who had mono shots waiting to post when the forum went down, feel free to go ahead and post them along with your portrait shots. This is an unusual situation. We lost four days on the monochrome challenge and the first day of the portrait challenge. Let's just hope the forum stays up for awhile, now.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote