Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:33 AM   #1

A couple shots of the Gf whilst out the other day.
Attached Images

Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:34 AM   #2

Her getting bored with my intrusive cameraing.
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:12 AM   #3

I am no expert in portrait photography but I have learned a bit over the years. In the first shot, it appears that you used fill flash or a reflector to add light to the face. Unfortunately, the little patch of sunlight and shadows is very distracting. Using something to block the direct sun and relying on a reflector for facial lighting would be better.

I like the second shot better mainly because it has a mysterious air to it. It is a bit dark. I can't tell from the background whether direct sunlight was available. If so, a reflector to add light to the face would help or fill flash on a -2.0 ev compensation setting. It doesn't need much, just a bit of highlighting.

"Cameraing" is a new one on me. The Scrabble game on my Palm PDA would probably like it! It comes up with all kinds of variations on common words. However, you probably won't find it in Webster!!

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:38 PM   #4

Vandertramps,

I agree with Cal about the distraction of the shadows but I've found fill flash to be dicey at best with the digital cameras I've used. Aside from the harshness issue, I have not even found them to be reliable in filling in properly. (A,ong brands used, Olympus, Canon point and Shoots, Minoltas, Sony dSLR, Nikons, and Fuji)

Aloha and thanks for submitting.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:22 PM   #5

I didn't even notice the the distraction of the patch of sunlight and shadow, because I was transfixed by the eyes and lovely face! On reflection (ho,ho) I find it still doesn't bother me, partly because the curve of shadow from a lock of hair emphasises the shape of the happy cheek, pushed out by the enormous merry grin. The same locks of hair are a key part of the second shot.

I haven't tried fill-in flash for many years, but I now realise that the absence of external flash sync other than slave flash is a drawback in many modern cameras below dSLR level, and I doubt that thatwould have been feasible for this type of shot even if one owned the kit.

I still occasionally use my antique (2003) Casio QV-5700 for its traditional external flash sync co-ax socket, and on my Casio EX-Z750 (2005) I can control the flash intensity, but I now I've moved upmarket in all other respects I have no control other than 'on' or 'off'.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:14 AM   #6

Thanks, all, for the comments. Some coworkers and i are working on an idea for a shoot that i hope comes within the timeframe of this challenge.

As for the reflector issue, I have really been meaning to try something out. Maybe I'll get someone to help me out with that - Suzanne's gone for a couple weeks so i'll have to get an unattractive model to assuage any jealousy issues that may arise when she inevitably sees the shots!!!