Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:30 AM   #1

I hope couples are allowed in this challenge. The emphasis of the challenge description and the wiki link to 'portrait' is heavily on "a person", but the wikipedia link quoted to 'portrait photography' has groups & couples all over it.

This is my in-laws, dressed up for a special occasion.

I'd already done a monochrome conversion whenthey published their joint memoirs & I did the image processing, but I wasn't very happy with it.So I thought I'd try again, and the result is below. Thanks to Cal & Selvin for the time extension.

As before, it's PSP greyscale plus manual curve adjustment .. I'm still not entirely happy because I can't get the very different skin tones of the two subjects both to look quite natural. What do you think? Can anyone help me do better, please?
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:33 AM   #2

Mono version...
Attached Images

Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:04 PM   #3

Here is the same couple in a less formal portrait. Technically speaking, it's awful (from a scanned negative from a throwaway camera), but it's difficult to beat for informality, and uses props not normally to hand in the studio. Alongside is its use for the aforesaid memoirs.
Attached Images

Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:26 PM   #4

Ever hear of a family portrait? The first shot is great as is the BW conversion.

Don't knock those throw-away cameras. As a rule, they take pretty good pictures. You don't have the bells and whistles but the lenses are generally pretty sharp. I don't know about the digital throw-aways. Never tried one.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:51 PM   #5

calr wrote:
Quote:
...throw-away cameras...the lenses...pretty sharp... I don't know about the digital throw-aways
Well the 'huge' 24x36mm sensor in a film throwaway will beat the onein the best dSLR, and I somehow doubt the one in the digital throwaway will do that.Also an ISO400 film willstill beatthe best dSLRsensor at ISO50.

I have a superb 10x8 print of a tower in Florence taken by my daughter on a throwaway film one. But the portrait above isn't so sharp, probably because of the photographer's laughter.

Thanks, Cal, for the comments. I never know about the language differences across the pond, and there hadn't then been anything but 'singles' here!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:23 PM   #6

Alan,

As Cal pointed out I had hopefully not meant to convey thatcouples were not a legitimate source for the challenge.

On my screen you've got the skin tones right on. When you read hints about taking portraits some sources will indicate that portratits do always have to have the subjects facing the camera. I am glad youi submitted this since it is obvious thta the couple facing each other is very effective in conveying the love and respect they have for each other.

Good work.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote