Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 22, 2007, 9:38 PM   #1

#2 Rainbow Trout caught by my son, Boulder Lake

Attached Images

gilbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:22 AM   #2

Hi, I have noticed you have tilted the cam which give the whole perspective more dynamic. I love it.
Next you have done a very smart thing by keeping the sun behind. So no squiting of eye. Very smart move I will say.
Then comes the pose of the subject, very lovely
Over all I find it very catchy. I might use your technique someday. Hope you wont mind
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:54 AM   #3

Another great shot, gilbill.

It's not clear to me what differentiates a portrait from a snapshot. I guess if you crop any image of a person who is looking at the camera leaving the torso and head, it become a portrait. Not sure, though.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:27 AM   #4

Tullio,

Like most things in life, there is no sharply dividing line. A lot has to do with the interaction between the subject of the photo and the viewer. Portraits supposedly provide an opportunity for the subject to interact with the viewer. Via body language, lighting, etc.

Of course this is also true in some snapshots.

Having said that, I think the joy of the moment shown by the young boy is obvious and he conveys this pretty well in the photo.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:14 AM   #5

Yes, I agree with you, Selvin.We should not let the technicalities interferewith our personal interpretations.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:40 PM   #6

mcliu, Tullio and Selvin,

Thank you so much for looking at my pictures and for all of your kind words. I too, after I posted it thought, oh no is that really a snapshot and not a portrait? But reading what all of you have said makes me feel a little more confident in it as a portrait in stead of mearly a snapshot.

~ Debbie

Also the tilt of the camera was not intentional but I noticed it after downloading it from my camera.I felt it added to the pictrue. I am still waiting for the day when I don't mearly get lucky but actually plan out the picture through my view finder. I guess that will come withthe more pictures I take.
gilbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:50 PM   #7

I actually like the tilt...it adds something to the photo that I can't really explain. I also like the way the light is resting on the subject, and the poor fish with his mouth open. LoL. Excellent job. I saw the photo of your daughter too, you have beautiful children.

Dani
afdani1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:07 PM   #8

I like it. He's obviously not a true fisherman yet trying to show the huge fish he just caught. Instead the photo catches the look on the face of the fish of "oh, no, not the dreaded fish photo!"

Your son is very cute, too.:-)
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote