Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:16 AM   #11

Thanks for the detailed information you provided. I find Wales a fascinating, beautiful country. I'm not sure about the phonetics of the Welsh language...most words may be butmany Welsh words contain absolutely no vowels (i.e. RHWNG). So, how canone possibly guess how to pronounce such a words:? (unless you have an understanding of the Welshphonetics)?

I haven't met a single Welshman who does not sing (and well), so I'm not sure I'll trust your comments about singing poorly :G

Anyway, nice family portrait with the Welsh mountains in the background!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:10 PM   #12

The Welsh have the opposite problem of the Hawaiians. There are10 vowels in Hawaiian and only 8 consonants. Consequently because of the abundance of vowels, "Ka'a'awa" and "a'a" are legitimate words as is "kuliouou."

Personally, I think pronouncing the Welsh has to be more difficult than the Hawaiian.

Just my 2 cents.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 6:57 AM   #13

(Longish post by this forum's standards I'll chop it if requested by Selvin)

selvin wrote:
Quote:
I think pronouncing the Welsh has to be more difficult than the Hawaiian.
Ah yes, but a non-Welsh-speaker like me, or someone who's holidayed in Wales a lot (please come!) who knows the simple 100% phonetic rules of written Welsh,can pronounce it quite convincingly. I understand this is because the written language was invented by mediaeval monks, well versed in nearly-phonetic Latin.

This is certainly not true of English where a non-speaker canread it out only with hilarious results (a) because there are few rules, haphazardly applied, with many exceptions,and (b) because there are many written words that bear little relation to their sound - "cough, through, bough, dough", for example. It sounds as though Hawaiian may be similar. Welsh has nothing like that.

Tullio's example "rhwng" is trivial once you known that "w" is a vowel as well as a consonant, though the sound, a bit like a short English "oo" is similar as either consonant or vowel ("oo-elsh"). Also, "y" and "u" are vowels, and the horrible-looking pairs of consonants are pronounced very much as they appear in English.They won't be quite right, but they'll be recognisable.

We're way OT here, aren't we Selvin? Sorry! I'll return to topic in another post. But finally...

Welsh National Anthem as rendered by Englishmen...

"Mae hen wlad fy nhadau" (Land of my fathers) - My hen's laid a haddock.

"Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad" - Blod, blod, deep is thy tiddle-dee, Blod.

Alan T

PS.To return to our topic of portrait/group photography, here'smy friend Bob, a genuine photographer, in actiona few weeks ago. I watched & heard him on another occasion, tullio, on top of a much bigger stepladder in front of a huge choir & orchestra, blow his 'Acme Thunderer" whistle very loudly in Chester Cathedral to get the subjects' attention. He's rather proud of it.

I haven't put this in a new thread, in that it's candid. He's posing only in that he's showing off to me his many 1000s of pounds' worth of Nikon gear, which is perhaps a tiny bit superior to my 219 ukpound Kodak Z712is, with which I took this at 1/8 second, hand-held, in horrific sodium vapour lighting. (Thanks, PSP).

More images from this event at http://www.bknowl.myzen.co.uk/alantyson/misc/bachsing/where there are some nice pictures of people, though not strictly portraits.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:56 AM   #14

Gentlemen (that includes Welsh, English, and Hawaiian). This thread has gone about as far off topic as it can go. It is time to end this discussion and get back to photography.

Unless there are further comments on the orignal photos posted in this thread, please take your discussions elsewhere.

Thanks.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:38 AM   #15

I find language to be a fascinating subject. Have learned Portuguese (native language), English (from leaving in the US for 20+ years),a little bit of Italian (family), some Spanish (by just being in so much contact with Spanish speaking people) and a little bit ofFrench (school) and even though they're all different from each other, they all have a lot of similarities (of course with the exception of English, all others are Latin based so they all have the same root).
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:39 AM   #16

Sorry, Cal. I posted before I had the opportunity to read your comments. Case closed!