Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 26, 2007, 8:55 AM   #1

These are two shots of my father I took in 2004, less than a year before he died (of an infection, but otherwise pretty healthy), aged nearly 89. His extreme hair highlights are blown, but I'd already underexposed a bit, and they were very white.

Remember we'll all look this old, if we last long enough.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2007, 9:19 AM   #2

Alan, the resemblance with you is quite obvious. I think you did a good job. The shot is definitely a "keeper" and a keepsake.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 9:19 AM   #3

This challenge has led me to much nostalgia. Another thread reminded me of a pertinent anecdote. Welsh male voice choirs generally sing from memory, and this was a challenge for Dad, a Yorkshireman,when the words were in Welsh.

Once or twice I (also a Yorkshireman, but regarding myself as naturalised Welsh) transliterated 100% phonetic Welsh text into 'English' phonetics for him. I wrote the two versions in black & red in alternate lines on a postcard, which he pinned to the back of the chorister in front of him. His enthusiasm had infected me, so when arthritis in one finger stopped me playing 2nd violin in amateur orchestras last year, after 47 years, I was able to return to choral singing, after a short career break of 29 years.
Attached Images

Old Jul 26, 2007, 9:54 AM   #4

Alan, hopefully you have some recordings of your Dad's male choir. Too bad that we can't hear the music along with your photos of him. I was in the male glee club in college and enjoyed it tremendously, especially the tours we made throughout the central USA.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 4:04 PM   #5

Very nice portraits of your late Father, Alan. My Mom will be 90 next January and unfortunately, she suffered a couple of minor strokes early this year, which debilitated her quite a bit. Yes, age will do that for us, if we live that long! We need to make sure we keep the good memories!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 4:46 PM   #6

I thought the forum software accepted sound files but I just looked and it doesn't. However, it does accept zip files so you could zip up the sound file and attach it that way.

These are great shots of your father. He looks rather frail in these shots but you said he was healthy untill the very last. That is too bad.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 5:08 PM   #7

Walter C wrote:
Quote:
...some recordings of your Dad's male choir.
To my astonishment, a quick Google just now revealssamples of that very choir at... http://www.tunetribe.com/Artist?artist_id=41530.

A couple of weeks ago, in a recently convened choir, the bass section with me in it (cf. Groucho Marx: " I wouldn't join any club that'd have me in it") was revolutionised for me by a very large, loud, and competentyoung music teacher who stood next to me. He's a member of the local Rhos Male Voice Choir, among the most famous in the world. He made singing along very easy, exceptwhen entranced by his beautiful tone.