Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 26, 2007, 3:58 PM   #1

I took this photo of my son at a friend's wedding we attended while in England. The image was a bit noisy so I used NeatImage to clean it up a bit.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2007, 4:49 PM   #2

Very nice shot of the boy. I think NeatImage did more harm to this photo than good. It reduced the detail in the hair and gave it a pasted look. I have seen some of the noise reduction tools in PSP do the same thing. Personally, I prefer the noise!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 8:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the comments, Cal. I'm not too fond of noise reduction programs either. They do cut details quite a bit. However, the original image was very noisy and that bothered meas well. If I didn't like the shot as much, I would have left it alone.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 9:09 PM   #4

In any case, that's a very handsome young man.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:57 PM   #5

Thanks, Walter.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 2:26 AM   #6

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
...The image was a bit noisy...
I agree with Cal that noise isn't necessarily that bad. It's all a matter of degree. Any chance of seeing at least a small version of your 'noisy' original, which I think is inherently a fine portrait,or a clip from it, please? Your son was having a good time! My sondoesn't look that smart when he's on holiday.

By way of illustration,the image below is a 633x813 crop (35% height) from a 3072x2304 frame, shrunk by 55% to this size. It was shot at ISO 800 (1/30, f/3.2, 137mm equiv), so it's noisy. But my wife likes it, and says it looks like an Old Master painting (we've been watching & reading 'Girl with a Pearl Earring' recently).

Similarly I hate artistically, but laugh out loud at, the way the classical Hollywood cameramen & editors got a hot flush as they switched from hard Bogart to soft Bergman, and the lens misted over. I prefer moderation in noise reduction, sharpening, etc.

Don't know why this post is in larger print than usual, sorry. It'sjust as I see it in the message editor, and not shrunk as usual. I've tried to reduce it, but that (this) turns out very small. I'm looking into it.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 9:26 AM   #7

Thanks for you comments, Aan. Here's the original version of the image. As you can see, a lot of details are not there to begin with. The image is very soft and noisy. I still prefer the edited version.
Attached Images

Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:42 AM   #8

Does your camera have any builtin noise reduction? If so, I would turn it off. I like your original image (last one posted) better than the first. It doesn't look like the boy was pasted over tha background. Personally, whatever noise is present (I don't see it), I don't find the least bit objectionable. ...My opinion.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 12:08 PM   #9

The R1 only does internal NR when it'sin Tv mode with slow shutter speeds. Since I shot in P mode, no camera NR was applied. Perhaps the sharpness on my monitor is set a bit too high, reason why I see a lot of noise.