Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 28, 2007, 6:04 PM   #1

My wife and I went to the local swap meet at the community college this morning. While enjoying a polish sausage and a coke, we were joined by a man and his 5-year old daughter, a small and shy little girl. After some pleasant conversation, I asked if I could take their picture, particularly because I was struck by her cherub-like face. Taken with a P&S camera I carry in my pocket.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2007, 10:25 PM   #2

Nice shot, Walter. Too bad the highlights were blown in the background. I am trying to figure out how that could happen. The foreground seems perfectly exposed. I am guessing that the foreground was dark and the camera took its reading from the subjects. It appears that you might have used flash. If not, that might have helped. Since you used a P&S, I can't be sure what happened.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:25 AM   #3

Cal, the shot was taken with the flash engaged. We were in the shade and the background was in full sun, which was quite intense in the middle of the day. Here is the 2nd shot I took, without flash this time. Same blown background.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 1:29 AM   #4

Good capture of the moment, Walter. I just commented on another topic about my inability to ask people if I can take their picture. As for the technicalities of the images, being as close to the subject as you were, the camera will certainly meter based on the light the subject is exposed to and being so bright in the background, whether you use flash or not, the highlights will be over exposed. The only way to minimize that would be to meter on the bright spot, recompose and use forced (fill) flash to brighten the subject (otherwise it will be very very dark).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:32 AM   #5

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
.....whether you use flash or not, the highlights will be over exposed. The only way to minimize that would be to meter on the bright spot, recompose and use forced (fill) flash to brighten the subject (otherwise it will be very very dark).
The problem is the subject's extreme dynamic range. Might another way be to use wide automaticexposure bracketing? In post-processing a different frame could be used for foreground & background, with some judicious twiddling& retouching.

This would, I expect be unethical in 'Challenge' images, would it? One could always choose the single least unacceptable shot as a compromise.

This might be quicker than the fiddling and thinking time necessary to do the fill-in flash. In either method it's possible the subjects' attention would be lost! On my last but one camera (Casio QV-5700) I had 5-frame 0.3 stop to 1 stop bracketing, and used it a lot when in doubt.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote