Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:15 PM   #1

This bird is definately back lit. I hope it qualifies.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2007, 3:36 PM   #2

Yes, it qualifies but it has some problems. The main problem is camera shake. If you shot this handheld, one word...DON'T!! I haven't looked at the EXIF data but I am assuming you used a lens focal length of 200mm or more. There is a rule among photographers that states the minimum shutter speed for handheld is the reciprocal or 1/focal length. In others words, if your focal length is 50mm, the minimum shutter speed for handheld is 1/50th. If your focal length is 800mm, minimum shutter speed is 1/800th. Any shutter speed lower than this rule and you stand a good chance of blurring the shot. The best answer is a tripod!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 4:37 PM   #3

What is EXIF data? And youre right, no tripod was used. I was lying on my back among a crowd of people lined up to buy hot dogs and hamburgs and the seagulls were flying around looking for a handout. I was rolling around trying to get a good shot. This was the second best one. Thanks for your comments. I wasnt aware of that rule of thumb but I will certainly take it to heart.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:54 PM   #4

Most if not all digital cameras store shooting data in the image file. These data include exposure information, camera make and model, lens data, date and time and many other items. Your image editor should have a way to display this information. In Paint Shop Pro, there is an entry in the "Image" menu called "Image Information". Look for something similar in your editor.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:33 AM   #5

My guess is that you moved the camera following the bird as it was flying byand then shot the image (this technique it's called panning). Not a very easy thing to do unless you have good experience with such a technique. According to the EXIF data, your shutter speed was 1/549, which should be more than plenty since your focal length was 63.3mm. There is a free software out there called EXIFER, which is very good. Once you install it, every time you launch it it asks you if you wish to buy or try. You just have to click on TRY. The trial version never expires.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote