Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:06 AM   #1

A mile or so off-shore here in Huntington Beach are a couple of oil drilling platforms. Seems harder and harder to find shots that aren't "spoiled" by something we've added -- billboards, telephone poles, etc. Wonder what it will be like for landscape photographers in another 20 years. Does it remind you of the Joni Mitchell song: "They paved paradise, they put up a parking lot"?

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:40 PM   #2

Love the vertical composition framing the oil rigs. The silhouetted palms do a handosme job.

Walter, a totally useless bit of trivia, the Joni Mitchell song actually refers to a Hawaii.

'Big Yellow Taxi" is a song originally written and performed by Joni Mitchell.

Mitchell got the idea for the song during a visit to Hawaii. She looked out of her hotel window at the spectacular Pacific mountain scenery, and then down to a parking lot.

Joni said this about writing the song to journalist Alan McDougall in the early 1970's:

"Living in Los Angeles, smog-choked L.A. is bad enough but the last straw came when I visited Hawaii for the first time. It was night time when we got there, so I didn't get my first view of the scenery until I got up the next morning. The hotel room was quite high up so in the distance I could see the blue Pacific Ocean. I walked over to the balcony and there was the picture book scenery, palm tree swaying in the breeze and all. Then I looked down and there was this ugly concrete car park in the hotel grounds. I thought "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" and that's how the song "Big Yellow Taxi" was born."

[1][/suP] The song is known for its environmental statement (as assumed from the lyric "paved paradise to put up a parking lot") and sentimental sound. The line, "Took all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum/And charged the people a dollar and a half just to see 'em" refers to Foster Botanical Garden in downtown Honolulu, which is a living museum of tropical plants, some rare and endangered.[2][/suP] In the song's final verse, the political gives way to the personal, as Mitchell recounts the departure of a lover in the "big yellow taxi" of the title.

The song was first put out as a single and then was put on the album Ladies of the Canyon in 1970; a later live version was released in 1975 and reached #24 on the U.S. charts. Mitchell's playful closing lyrics has made the song the most identifiable in her repertoire, still receiving significant airplay in Canada. In 2005, it was voted #9 on CBC's list of the top 50 essential Canadian tracks.

Wikipedia.
Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:14 PM   #3

I agree with Selvin's comments about the photo. As for the documentary comments, it is a topic I'm not familiar with. However, I am reminded of a Pete Seeger song titled "Little Boxes" in which he puts down the concept of tract houses that all look alike and how the people are all alike. It was an early 60s song. When I first heard the song, I did not understand the phrase "Little boxes made of tickey-tacky and they all look just the same." A short time after hearing it the first time, I happened to be on a bus traveling through the suburbs of San Francisco and I looked up at the hillsides. I immediately knew what the song was referring to. Miles and miles of tract houses that all look alike!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote