Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:15 AM   #1

As you may know, forestry is important in the economy of the Scottish Highlands. Here at Ardrishaig, Loch Fyne earlier this month, logs are being unloaded for transport by coastal steamer (more on them in later posts) to distant paper mills.

In the remoter parts ofthe Highlands where many of the forests lie,the roads are narrow and single-track, with sometimes infrequent passing places. If you meet a large truck coming the other way, one or other of you may have to reverse a long way.

Here, with typical inventiveness, worthy of the great 19th century Scottish engineering pioneers, we have a double-ended lumber transporter apparently designed for just such occasions.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:54 AM   #2

How extraordinary!

And I'm familiar with those narrow roads. I've lived in Largs, Gourock and Kilmacolm, and have spent many wonderfull days driving through the highlands on those narrow roads looking for village pubs that brewed their own beer because the roads were too narrow for beer trucks.

Great shot, btw.

Edit: Spelling.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:56 AM   #3

Reminds me of that animal in Doctor Doolittle, the Push You Pull Me.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:11 PM   #4

Until the 1950s, the coaster taking lumber away from Ardishaig really would have been a 'Clyde Puffer', such as this one. It's the'Vital Spark', star of film & TV versions of the 'Para Handy Tales', short stories by Neil Munro (Hugh Foulis), about a roguish puffer captain & his crew.

It's now moored, in this sorry state, in the basin at Crinan at the other, west end of the Crinan Canal.The canal cuts across the Kintyre Peninsula, avoiding a dangerous 75-mile rounding of the Mull of Kintyre.
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:21 AM   #5

Alan,

That's one heck of an unusual truck.

Thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:25 AM   #6

Excellent images, Alan. Nice capture of the trucks and logs! Boats and ships are amongst my favorite subjects to photograph.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 9:43 AM   #7

I looked at that photo for a long time and have decided there's something rotten in Denmark? The problem is not the photo but the subject. I don't believe that is one truck. Notice the wheels on the right end. They are larger and totally different tread design than the ones on the trailer and cab on the left.

Now what I think is going is that the truck/cab on the right is like a tow truck that hooked on to the back end of the trailer to help pull it out on that narrow pier. When the trailer is unloaded, I suspect the "tow" truck will unhook and the tractor/trailer rig will pull out and be on its way.

Another thing, I don't think that rig could be driven down the road if it were all one vehicle.

Now...someone prove me wrong.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:01 AM   #8

Cool image!

I think Cal may be on to something. If you draw an imaginary line from the wheels on the left side of the image to the wheels on the right side of the image, you'll note that the wheels on the right cab are not in line with the other wheels. So, it appears the cab on the right is in back of the trailer.

Also, if you follow the flat bed portion of the trailer from left to right, it looks a bit out of place as it comes near the right cab.

I'm no expert, and I've seen cars with two front ends that can be driven both ways...

real or illusion, it's a neat image!!
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:44 AM   #9

Well I did say "apparently" in the original posting, though I realise I should have said "apparently a double-ended lumber transporter designed" rather than "a double-ended lumber transporter apparently designed" !

Here the persons occupying the two cabs obviously had a difference of opinion on whether to reverse or not, and the load's 'apparently' fallen off. Or something like that.

I'm rather pleased that it mystified & intrigued, for a little while at least. Thanks for viewing & musing, everyone.
Attached Images