Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:19 PM   #1

Here are two more images of the 'Vital Spark' at Crinan, as in my 'lumber' posting.

Confusingly, research at http://www.inveraraypier.com/puffer27.htmltells me that this is in fact "Auld Reekie" built in 1943 at Northwich not far from my home in Cheshire, with the name 'Vital Spark' painted on for the TV series in the 1990s. Locals I spoke to were very confused as to the locations of the two surviving puffers, because the other one, usually at Inveraray at the head of Loch Fyne, really is called 'Vital Spark'. One was originally "VIC27", and other was "VIC72".
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:33 PM   #2

These two old salts are taking a break from work on 'Auld Reekie'/'Vital Spark'. They look, apart from the clean boiler suits, as though they could have stepped out of the best 'puffer' movie, "The Maggie", (an Ealing Comedy, 1954, dir. Sandy MacKendrick, famous for "Whisky Galore"). See... http://www*****eenonline.org.uk/film/...542/index.html.

It tells the tribulations of American businessman Calvin B. Marshall, (Paul Douglas), trying to gethis load of furniture and artworks from Glasgow to his newly-purchased Scottish island castle in time for his wedding, unfortunately aboard a decrepit puffer with a wily captain and clever cabin boy, 'with hilarious results', as they say, and much depiction of Scottish island life.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:14 AM   #3

Very interesting shots. The boats definitely havea story to tell.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:20 AM   #4

I like both shots as well as the stories. The first one in particular strikes me for its richness and textures. Good job!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote