Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:19 PM   #1

Assuming it's okay to post multiples in one day since going into two different challenges.

Taken from in front of Notre Dame looking across the street. I'm not sure how to photograph these without getting the things out of line. I wanted it from the corner of the building, not in front. The building is straight now, but the building to the left and the lamppost are slanted inward. ??? Any suggestions welcome.
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:05 PM   #2

Nice shot. What you are experiencing here is called perspective distortion. What photo editor are you using? PSP has a perspective correction tool that is very easy to use but if there is too much distortion, the result is often a very unacceptable, skinny picture. PS and PSE may have the same tool.

There is no way to avoid this distortion without the use of one of those fancy (and expensive) lenses with a tilting front element. With one of those, you frame the shot the way you want it and then adjust the front element of the lens until everything is straight. I wonder if there is an adapter that can be attached to the front of a lens to do the same thing. If anyone has heard of such a thing, speak up! Probably just wishful thinking.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:45 PM   #3

Nice shot but I doubt you will be able to straight up the redish building. The barrel distortion is too accentuated and there is no room left at the sides of the image. Even though PS can (apparently)improve the distortion, in reality all it does is to perform some form of cropping. I personally dislike the results unless the problem is very mild to begin with.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 6:53 AM   #4

Thanks, guys.

Well, I'm glad to know there isn't much I could do for this. Here is the original and I played with what best to do to straighten it. Finally just selected the gray building and straightened it.

Cal, I have PSE5 for an editor.
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote