Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:36 AM   #11

HDR means High Dynamic Range. When you have a scene which has bright sky, medium background and deep shadows then you take 3 or more shots of the scene bracketing your shots by at least an f-stop or preferably 2. This being done on tripod. With a program like Photomatic you combine the pictures together and it produces a picture with the best of the three exposures for each of the 3 parts, the highlight, the shadow and the midtones. You can see by Carrs photo of the Queen Mary or Elizabeth whichever he gets nice deep colors and a rich sky. If you check his site out you will see more HDR photos. www.petecarr.net I can send you an HDR tutorial if you are interested. If you shoot in RAW you can also make an HDR photo out of that as well. But Im only familiar with using 3 or more jpegs. I have a thread on this site called HDR under OTHER PICS.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:56 AM   #12

I intend to try HDR,if I can find free software that will attempt it on jpegs. I'd just be aiming for a simulation of what I remember, rather than a wild exaggeration of the sky as I've seen in most specimen HDR shots.

The picture that Bynx posted near the top of this thread was probably taken about an hour before mine, when the white superstructure was directly illuminated by sunlight. At the time I was on top of the Priory Tower, and here are two bracketed exposures I kept from then . The tripod was a spike of the railing poked into my Kodak Z712is tripod socket. All I'd require of HDR is a subtle merging of the highlights of the darker one into the lighter, to get round the not quite sustainable dynamic range of an 8-bit jpeg.

I've experimented in the past by cutting and pasting bits of exposures from different bracketed exposures to achieve the same effect (quick & dirty use of layers). With distant static subjects you don't even need a tripod, as perfect registration is necessary only over the bit you're pasting.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 8:00 PM   #13

Very nice, Alan.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote