Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 27, 2007, 4:09 PM   #1

Rows and Rows and a set of 'More Bars'...

Liverpool Waterfront last Friday afternoon. The Mersey Ferry and waterfront were crowded with photographers and other sightseers.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2007, 4:26 PM   #2

Beautiful picture.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 4:54 PM   #3

I saw an incredible HDR photo of that boat at dock. Wonder if it was shot at the same time.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:30 PM   #4

About an hour before I took my shot, I'd been explaining to a guy with a BIG dSLR and a huge tripod at the top of the nearby 110-step Birkenhead Priory Tower that we'd got too much dynamic range for the shadows and the brilliant superstructure. However, if he bracketed a few exposures and got the right software he could fix it by means of HDR. So it wasn't him who took that one!

Here's my favourite shot from the day, carefully planned (perhaps). It's two different pairs of 'Liver Bird' (the other sort being the statues on top of the twin-towered Royal Liver Building).
Attached Images

Old Sep 27, 2007, 7:11 PM   #5

Excellent shot Alan. Those two gulls really add depth to the picture as well as an interesting element in the composition.

You might check out www.petecarr.net and see that guys HDR photos. There are more of the Queen Mary.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:43 PM   #6

Great shot Alan! I see many bars in this shot, on the buildings and the decks of the boat along with the rows of windows, very nice!!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:54 PM   #7

I agree--great shots. I have two questions. Is that the QE2 and what the heck is HDR?

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:15 PM   #8

Absolutely beautiful.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:00 PM   #9

calr wrote:
Quote:
1....Is that the QE2...? 2. ...what the heck is HDR?.....
1. Yes. It's ona so-called 'farewell tour' which it seems is going to see it cruising for more than another year before retirement as an hotel. It's 40 years old. It called for a day to christen Liverpool's just-finished cruise liner terminal, just in time for Liverpool's 'European City of Culture 2008' year. The terminal has 40 bookings in the next year, and is one of the few city centre moorings in the world that can accommodate large liners.

There was ahugely entertaining Scouse (Liverpudlian) commentary by the Mersey Ferry skipper, who was getting funnier and funnier but very tired, having recounted the same tales of the QE2 many times to his passengers on the packed ferry all day. The weather forecast was for heavy rain all day, but thousands turned up anyway, to be rewarded by sunshine all afternoon.

2. I asked the same question the other day & looked it up. It's twiddling the curves across all the tonesin the wide dynamic range to be found in a set of bracketed exposures of a single scene, and selectively blending them into a single High Dynamic Range frame, retaining tonal detail in those important partsthat were poorly displayed in any single shot.

It seems some new cameras have the software built in, and there's are several software packages includingPhotoshop CS2. Best on sets of 'raw' images.

See http://www.vanilladays.com/hdr-guide/#whatishdror http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/hdr.shtml.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:49 PM   #10

Super shots Alan. I love the birds in the second shot.
I was reading something about HDR on another thread a while back. Some folks were posting their HDR shots for CC and I thought they had some pretty impressive pictures. Now that I have jumped into the " photo rich waters of shooting in RAW", I may have to play around with this technique. But first I have to become much more profecient in using the RAW comvertion software to process the pictures.
Just when I felt I was getting pretty good with PS and Jpegs along comes RAW. They just keep PULLING ME BACK IN AGAIN! :G I guess that's were the fun lies.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote