Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:10 PM   #1

Here is a shot of one corner of the KOIN Tower, a high-rise office building in downtown Portland, OR. It is named for KOIN TV, one of our local network TV stations.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:21 PM   #2

Very cool
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 1:38 AM   #3

You've got me really confused now, Cal, and I divine from the many intriguing interpretations we've seen in this challenge that others are confused too.

If this (a fine, striking shot, as we expect from you) is an example of what you're calling bars, why wasn't my (admittedly pretty poor photographically) shot of Rothesay castle a shot of 'bars'? Also, you confessed to laterally flipping an image to get the stacking direction right, but here you have both directions, up and down.

I picked up the idea along the way that you regarded the space between the bars as a necessary condition but obviously I got that wrong as well, because here there isn't any. Sorry to whinge, but I don't think I'm alone in not fully understanding what we're about.

The signal strength meter on the phones I've had is an upside down pile of single bricks up the side of the display, slightly bent, with the biggest at the top. The volume control, on the other hand,on every phone I've seen does look like the original bar chart in the Challenge specification.

I originally guessed that what was required was a pictorial simulation of a set of ascending data points, plotted incrementally as a bar graph.

Steve's ( smac ) beautiful shot of the underside of a concrete parabolic arch bridge seemed to me a glorious interpretation of that concept, with the data points joined by a big fat line graph as well as being represented by the vertical support bars. The subject was a fine artwork in itself.

The authors of the wider interpretations that you haven't liked, (as too unlike the 'volume indicator'), have presumably, like me, taken the bar chart concept, but not the steady rise in the stacks. I did actually adopt the 'rising' principle, even in my standing stone shot, but it was a lot too subtle there.

I myself like all these varied interpretations, though some have taken me a bit of effort to see the rows or bars.

Please don't take offence, Cal; I'm trying to help. As we've still got a week to go, I think a bit of clarification would help us.

With all due respect,

Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:56 AM   #4

bars go many ways
Attached Images

MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:10 AM   #5

Minoltanut, Thanks for your reply.

I value Cal's opinion just as much as yours, mine, and everyone else's. Cal's doing a lot of work here, which I appreciate, and he's entitled to his opinions, which I've learnt over the years.

I'm just trying to get this particular 'challenge' sorted out. Please let's leave it at a simple clarification request.

Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:28 AM   #6

the whole idea is for people to develop their creativity ..not to get bashed for it...there is no wrong creativity
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:47 AM   #7

This has been and will continue to be a difficult challenge to moderate. I have some specific ideas in mind as stated in the challenge description. My idea was based on the scenes show in the Cingular tv ads. They all show subjects in the pattern shown in the description. Sometimes the orientation is shown at an angle but the progression is there. My photo of the KOIN Tower has bars progressing in both directions, true, but the ones on the left do progress upward and that meets the challenge. The spacing between the bars was not specified. Some of the examples seen on tv have spacing while others do not. The idea is to get the progression.

Minoltanut, you made that comment that the idea is to develop creativity. Exactly correct. That is the overall objective of this forum. However, we accomplish this by posting challenges, sometimes general, sometimes very specific, and asking people to shoot photos based on the challenge description. It is very similar to shooting assignments given in a photography class. This challenge is not so much about the bars on a cell phone but finding and photographing a specific pattern. Your photo of the cheerleaders, although excellent, did not accomplish the assignment and thus not acceptable for the challenge.

Alan, I will go back and review your photo. I see so many, I forget what I was thinking at the time or what I said. It is amazing, though, that when a photo is posted for a second time, I recognize it immediately.

I will try to be more clear and specific in my critiques if I see a photo that does not appear to meet the challenge specifications. I will also try to be more clear on my comments on those that are borderline.

I don't want to step on anybody's toes. I critique a lot of photos as witnessed by my posting count. As a result, I have gotten lazy and often my comments are too brief. I will work on that.

AlanT and Minoltanut, thank you for your comments.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:07 AM   #8

calr wrote:
Quote:
Alan, I will go back and review your photo....
You don't need to do that, Cal. Let's move on! Remember anyone outside your patch of a very big world won't have seen this advert, and we just have to go on what you said, and your little bar chart, which to me is a 'volume control', or a vertical barchart.
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:52 PM   #9

bar graphs only...should be the title