Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:42 PM   #1

Just whipped this together quickly, front view demostrates it a lot better then the top view. But you can really notice the barrel distortion from the wide angle
Attached Images

ahill876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:42 PM   #2

top view
Attached Images

Old Oct 2, 2007, 7:23 PM   #3

Great photo, very creative.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 9:10 PM   #4

it's so easy to use things around the house, books on a shelf, bottles of alcohol, cd/movie collection. Not easy to find it naturally like that though
Old Oct 2, 2007, 9:35 PM   #5

The bar effect is much more noticeable in the top view than the front view but both have it. I am wondering about the lighting you used for this shot. It looks like you used available room light (incandescant) and your white balance was set for sunshine. That would explain the orange tint in the photo. A good photo editor can correct that but it is better to try to get it right out of the camera. Shooting indoors, you should probably either use auto or "incandescant" or "tungsten" WB presets.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:53 AM   #6

Great idea. I particularly like the first one.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:51 AM   #7

the wb was set for incadescent, there was a variety of different kinds of light just so I could get enough, there was a combination of daylight coming through front door window, incadescent bulbs, and compact flourescent bulbs, so wb is a little tricky. this was more for demostrative purposes, otherwise I would have shot RAW and perfected the temperature in there
Old Oct 3, 2007, 2:17 PM   #8

In a mixed lighting situation, it is often best to use manual white balance. You place a white piece of paper or other white object in the scene and have your camera take a reading from that. The exact procedure is different for different cameras so read your user guide to find out how to do it with your camera.

Cal

Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:31 PM   #9

thanks calr yeah I haven't fiddled with the manual balance yet, only the presets or in RAW. So a yellowish tinge would mean I need to increase the temperature I believe
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:50 PM   #10

Well, I'm not sure but I think that is correct. If you shoot in RAW mode, you are still going to have to fix it in an editor that can handle RAW images. Correcting the posted image is a piece of cake in PSP. I could do it in about 10 seconds but as I said earlier, if you learn how to get it right in the camera, it will make you a better photographer. Good luck.

Cal