Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:01 AM   #1

#2.

bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2007, 1:47 PM   #2

Bob, maybe you could Google the serial number and company name to get the product name and description.

About Harry Ferguson TractorsHarry Ferguson, born in 1884, started experimenting with tractors and plows in his early years. Harry is an important person in tractor history, being the inventor of the 3-point hitch. It was dubbed the "Ferguson System". After meeting with Henry Ford in 1938, over a handshake it was agreed that the 3-point hitch system would be installed on the Ford tractors being produced at that time (Ford 9N from 1939-1942 and the 2N from 1942-1947). These tractors had the "Ferguson System" insignia on them and Harry Ferguson received a share of the profits. In 1947 Henry Ford's Grandson officially terminated this "handshake agreement". The Ford 8N tractors that were being produced around this time no longer carried the "Ferguson System" insignia. Ferguson sued the Ford Motor Co. and eventually won a settlement.
In what some say is retaliation, Harry Ferguson began producing his own line of tractors, beginning with the TO-20 in 1948. These tractors looked suprisingly similar to the Ford 9N and 2N and sported the 3-point hitch.

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:22 PM   #3

Bob,

I thought the Ferguson name associated with tractors sounded familiar. The Massey Ferguson name was once pre-eminent in the global tractor business, but like many things has now been relegated to the history books and exists as a trademark only.

The merger of Ferguson and Massey companies only staved off the bankruptcy court for a number of years.

Aloha and thanks for sharing. The barn photo is quite good.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:03 PM   #4

Massey-Furgeson was not the end of the story. I don't know the details but somewhere in that history book was Massey-Harris. My father owned a Massey-Harris tractor back in the 1950s and really liked it.

Interesting shots and even more interesting thread.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:07 AM   #5

Very interesting. There was another discussion in the past about the Massey-Ferguson tractors some where here. Maybe on the Pentax forum. I actually knew it was from a tractor when I saw it.

I love the barn shot. What is the white piece to the left of the door?
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:01 AM   #6

Nhmom, There was a discussion of Massey-* here in this forum about a year or so ago. I can't give you the date or challenge topic but if you want it, I will see if I can find it.

Cal

I found it:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...ghlight=Massey
It was in the "macro-closeup" challenge and the thread was started with the same photo from (drum roll please) Bob Hammett! It was posted in December of last year.

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 7:53 AM   #7

Nice shots. There's a story behind that old building. I always wonder about the history of old buildings and the people associated with them.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote