Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:38 AM   #1

This was once one of the finest farm barns in the rural county where I grew up, but the hay loft has definitely seen better days. As a child, I remember horse drawn wagons pulling into the barn and then throwing hay bales up into the loft....not to mention what a great place to play that loft was. (As I'm sure you've figured out, this was my grandfather's barn when I was young. It was far from a new barn even then.)

It looks like the ladder to the loft has been rebuilt a couple of times, and the manger is now lined with the bottom half of a 55 gallon drum instead of the original wood.

I wish I could have taken the shot without the modern metal gate. The one I remember was a hand-made wooden barn gate. However, the aunt who lives on the property wasn't around the day I took this, and I didn't want someone to report a very large old man prowling around the property.

Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:44 AM   #2

Ivy has just abot taken over one side of the barn, and the tin roof has begun to sag, but the barn has been regularly painted...even if it's not the bright red it used to sport.

Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:58 AM   #3

I remember playing, as a child, in the loft in my dad's barn, my grandmothers barn, and a friends barn. They were great places to play...and fall out of! My sister and I were playing in the loft on day near the open loft door and I fell out the door with a large hay bale landing about two feet away from me. I was about six or seven years old at the time. The only thing that saved me was the fact that the area below the loft door was a mud pit where the pigs wallowed!

About 20 years later, my sister admitted that she pushed me!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:32 PM   #4

Trojansoc,

Not only is it growing old and dilapidating gracefully it continues to provide warm childhood memories that are priceless.

Love the second shot with the vegetation creeping slowly over the barn.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 5:51 PM   #5

Very nice photos, especially the second one.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote