Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:20 AM   #1

Our house stands on Hill Lane, at its junction with Hall Lane. This would cause endless confusion among delivery men, even if the houses clearly carried names or numbers, which theydon't. As you can see, the streetname signs are not a high priority in modern Britain...
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:37 AM   #2

Strategically placed as we are at a confusing junction, about once a week I have a delivery man ring the bell, not with an exciting gift, but with a request for directions to a neighbour. If I can't help him myself, I send him round the corner to the Post Office (soon to disappear) where the Post Mistress knows everybody and everything.

Sometimes the delivery persons have GPS systems. I recently had a convoy of two cars towing trailer caravans at the gate, insisting I was a camping site - "You have arrived at your chosen destination". I was able to redirect them (choosing a route on which they wouldn't have to reverse on single track roads) to their chosen location 3 miles away, with the aid of a computer-generated printed map. This isn't the middle of a desert in Africa, it's in a place with the world's best and longest standing detailed mapping!

This is an illustration not just of street sign dilapidation, and autumn coming on, but of general infrastructure dilapidation, due to declining communal, as opposed to individual endeavour.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:48 AM   #3

Both pictures are well done. Great story.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:07 PM   #4

Great story Alan. It's funny how some people are always convinced you're wrong and they're right when it comes to directions.

I must confess compared to many other places the street signs in Hawaii are top notch. They even have many of them very large to accomodate the aging population.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:20 PM   #5

Ditto! The signs mean so much more when there are stories to go with them.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote