Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Oct 16, 2007, 4:17 PM   #1

An old fishing vessel on the Anclote River in Tarpon Springs, Florida...

lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:24 PM   #2

That boat surely is overdue for time in the drydock. However, it appears to still be in service. When I go to the coast, I see a lot of boats that appear to be held together by rust and bird droppings. If any of you have seen the movie "Down Periscope" You may recognize that phrase and what it refers to!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 9:32 PM   #3

Yes, I too have seen some boats in our harbors here that rival this and are still working.

This is going to raise some hackles about exactly what constitutes "dilapidation". The original definition did specify falling into decay. For the purposes of this challenge dilapidationwill refer to something falling into decay that is normally not used on a regular basis in its usual manner. e.g. The many buildings shown which are now actual safety hazards, the wall that are broken apart etc...

The boat, while certainly decrepit is still chugging along and as Cal might even hint, badly needs a coat of paint but its functioning in it's normal job and thus is not in a state of "gracefuldilapidation."

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:22 PM   #4

selvin wrote:
Quote:
This is going to raise some hackles ...For the purposes of this challenge dilapidationwill refer to something falling into decay that is normally not used on a regular basis in its usual manner....The boat, while certainly decrepit is still chugging along and as Cal might even hint, badly needs a coat of paint but its functioning in it's normal job and thus is not in a state of "gracefuldilapidation."
Well, ok, you're the boss.

But several billion people, especially those involved in shipping, for example,would be entertained to know that their fully-functional and often graceful pieces of essential infrastructure are thought not to be 'dilapidated'. Among these would be...

-my wife on her bicycle;
- the local farmers with their elderly tractors and implements;
but principally...
-several tens of millions ofautomobile owners, sometimes including me, whose
transport may well meet the definition tomorrow, but doesn't today;
-the millions of poor people, refugees and war-zone occupants inhabiting
shantydwellings.

With all due respect, I don't think anyone has stepped wildly outside the spirit of the challenge as originally defined. Why not just ask people to say in what way it's graceful or dilapidated, as I've tried to do each time?

Aloha, all the best,
Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:27 PM   #5

Alan,

I wish upon a star people would give us some text and explanation as you amply do to tell us what's going on in the photo so we have to rely less on our interpretation - which is flawed at times.

Remember, this is hardly a scientific process AND I hope that other individuals realize they can communicate with us and sometimes correct us.

Unfortunately we do have to play God at times.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:38 PM   #6

Thanks for looking!

The boat seems to me to fit the challenge, but who am I to say? Didn't want to start a debate!!

Webster's dictionary defines dilapidated as: decayed, deteriorated, or fallen into partial ruin especially through neglect or misuse.

I'd say theboat was neglected and in a state of partial decay. It's even more neglectedthan the example given by Selvin of the Box Wrench - it's perfectly able to be used, it's just rusty.

Let's see what else I can find......
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 5:55 AM   #7

Great picture. The rust against the blue is very striking.
yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote